Trying to buy sofa made in America

dnjmunsonOctober 24, 2011

It's time to replace our 26 yr old sofa. (Flexsteel queen sleeper; has already been reupholstered once.) I want a sofa that's going to last another 20+ yrs. I'm considering a Drexel Heritage sofa. I really would like to purchase a sofa that's entirely made in America, from frame to fabric & labor. From what I've seen so far in my research, many of their case goods are now imported but I can't find any information regarding their upholstered goods, even on their website. I was going to contact them directly, but they had posted a message that they were all away at the International Market (High Point, I think). Does anyone have any information to share? The material I'm considering is considered "Heavy", so I hope my choices will help me accomplish what I'm seeking. I've found a Drexel sofa that fit's my body perfectly & is EXACTLY what I want as far as style, size, comfort, etc. I just want to make sure it is made here. Thanks for any comments/suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mom270

I looked at a Drexel sofa last week and asked the salesperson if it was made in China (which I believe I read on Garden Web). She said no, it was made in America. I think you have to talk to the salespeople and ask them for information. I know I've read on GW that Ethan Allen's furniture is made in China, but I bought one 2 or 3 years ago that has a "Made in USA" tag on it.

Bookmark   October 25, 2011 at 9:41AM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes

Smith Brothers of Berne.

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 7:45AM
mojomom

Despite its name, American Leather does sofas in fabric as well as leather, and its factory is outside of Dallas. We bought one of their leather sofas and loveseats a couple of years ago and have loved it. Custom made and delivered within 6 weeks. Lots of options on leathers, fabrics and fill, etc. A bit pricey, though, but after months of looking and not finding exactly what we wanted, we decided just to bite the bullet.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Leather

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 1:13PM
rmanbike

Furniture Brands is currently consolidating their upholstery operations in the US to Lenoir NC, at the same time moving the cut & sew operations to Merida, Mexico. Should be completed by the end of this year. This includes Drexel upholstery division. Your regional sales rep could tell you if the fabric is imported.

Bookmark   October 26, 2011 at 8:34PM
InteriorStylist

Your biggest challenge is finding US made fabric. There are only 2 mills left in the US. I would estimate that 90% of all fabrics are now made overseas or Canada. It would take some REAL research to find the particular vendor of manufacturer's fabric sources, but a savvy salesperson or store mgr should be willing to find out to get your business. BUT, I bet it would be safe to say that all springs & a few minor other components are foreign made, so even if you found an upholstery builder, I would bet the farm that the springs will be imported.

Ethan Allen, Stickley & Bassett still have SOME styles made in the USA. Bassett's is their Custom Collection. I can't swear to EA's or Stickley's, but again, a good salesperson will be honest with you about the USA vs overseas models.

BTW, almost every commercially produced casegood out there is foreign made, to one extent or another.

~Jeana

Bookmark   November 1, 2011 at 9:27PM
nancnh

Harden and Hallagan are both nice lines that are made in NY

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 5:46PM
rmanbike

A previous post concerning springs being imported. This is true for most mattress springs, but for upholstery springs either the sinuous or coil springs most all are still produced in the US. Their are some drop-in spring units being imported.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 1:37AM
EliteFurniture

There are many good upholstery companies that produce in the US however the fabrics as someone stated above is going to be the tough one. Key City, Taylor King, Harden, Hickory Chair, Henredon, Rowe, Clayton Marcus, Sherrill are all among the many US manufacturers producing upholstery in the US. Be wary of upholstery with "married covers". "Married covers" are items that come with only that fabric/leather or possibly a couple of different covers & offer better price points however most of these are imports; if not the entire piece then the cover is cut & sewn overseas & applied in the US however in most cases married covers the entire item is produced overseas.

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 2:48PM
dnjmunson

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful & helpful posts. In looking at the fabric swatches for my sofa, they were all labeled with the "Country of Origin." So, provided that information is accurate, I chose fabrics labeled "USA". The sales person checked on the production of the sofa and, again providing the information is accurate, it is manufactured in North Carolina. So, sofa has been ordered & should be delivered in about 8 weeks. Hopefully, I will be satisfied with the end product! I'm looking forward to receiving it!

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 9:53PM
ellie45

Friendship Upholstery in Taylorsville, NC made a sofa for me in 6 weeks and sent it. The whole deal was arranged by phone and trucked up to me in Virginia. I was thrilled with their work.

I am glad you got what you want though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Friendship Upholstery

Bookmark   November 12, 2011 at 12:50AM
47dt

I would try my best to stay locally. I understand how hard it can be.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 9:48PM
More Discussions
Restoration Hardware at a Discount??
I love the furniture from RH but it is way out of my...
pooky
Flexsteel vs. Lane vs. Natuzzi leather sectionals
I'm pretty confused and hoping for some solid comparisons...
tuckerlr
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
Room&Board Cruz Chaise Lounge Cushion help
I would be forever grateful If anyone has a Cruz chaise...
missmaggs
Sponsored Products
"Keystone" Sofa - NATURAL
$1,999.00 | Horchow
Furniture of America Castleton Chenille and Microfiber Sofa with Nailhead Trim -
Hayneedle
Wegner: JH Loveseat Reproduction
Modern Classics Furniture
Uttermost Pajaro Bronze Drip And Aged Ivory Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Twist Sectional w Side Chair
Opulent Items
Mason Chocolate Loveseat
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™