Attached garage away from kitchen or basement garage below

nerdDecember 29, 2012

We are working on renovation plans and would like to add an attached 2 car garage to our one story ranch. The issue we have is that the ideal/easiest place to attach the garage is on the opposite side of the house from the kitchen. While this is more convenient than our current situation (detached garage across the driveway) the idea of hauling groceries across the house is not terribly appealing. There is also the possibility of adding a garage to the kitchen side of the house. We haven't gotten any plans drawn but the idea would be to have a garage that is an expansion of the basement space under the kitchen. We are adding a staircase to the asement so access wouldn't be an issue (we would also consider adding a dumbwaiter). Any thoughts/ perspectives are appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chickadee2_gw

Our garage is like yours now, detached and away from the house. My husband has taken it over for his boat building hobby so we don't use it as a garage. Our driveway comes to the front of the house and our kitchen is at the back so I just bring groceries in through the front. When I have a large grocery order to bring in, if my husband's not around, I have one of those large old lady shopping carts that can handle about 4 large bags at a time and I use that. No problem. I just wheel it into the kitchen. If I used my garage regularly to put my car away, I wouldn't want to have to come and go through the basement to access my car, let alone schlep grocery bags up the stairs. I don't know how important it is for you to put your cars away at night or how old you are, but the older you get, the more you'll appreciate things on one level.

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 2:41PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

I've also seen a house with a car port on one end (kitchen) and a garage on the other

Bookmark   January 4, 2013 at 10:36PM
More Discussions
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Sponsored Products
Tech Lighting | Revel Linear Wall Sconce
$576.80 | YLighting
Costanzina Pendant by Luceplan
$292.49 | Lumens
Powder Coated Black Energy Star Outdoor Wall Lantern with Photocell and White Gl
$39.97 | Bellacor
Wobi Office | Marco II Highback Chair
YLiving.com
Pinnacle Pendant by Tech Lighting
$236.00 | Lumens
Chris & Chris Pro Chef Kitchen Work Station
Overstock.com
Smart Solar Outdoor Lighting. Solar Black 5 LED Multi-Light
$29.97 | Home Depot
MaxLite LSV2406SU30DV 2 Foot LED Vapor Tight Fixture
EnvironmentalLights.com
People viewed this after searching for: