Accent in tile floor with different thickness

thrauliJune 27, 2012

We're replacing tile floor on slab throughout the house. We want to use an accent tile in a picture frame outline in front of the patio doors. Problem is accent tile is 5/8 in. vs floor tile which is 5/16 in. Will we be able to do this? TIA for your help and advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

The other way would be easier. :-) You basically need to build up the thinset under the one that's thinner to match the one that's thicker. We did a rug-type pattern with thinner accent tiles on the corners. I used a double layer of Ditra to bring it up higher. If your accent tile is thicker, you'd have to raise the entire rest of the floor. I'd look for a thinner accent tile.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 1:27PM
thrauli

Thanks for the reply! I figured that would be the answer but was hoping there might be some other solution. The area was originally an outside patio that the PO enclosed, so it has a small slope to it. Maybe if we raise the threshold on the door (which is being replaced) and level out the floor we'll have enough room. Probably wishful thinking, but may have to look into that.

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 4:48PM
TileTech

If you're stuck on the accent tiles, a possible solution would be, using a wet saw with a fence...you should be able to run the accent pieces vertically thru the saw. Basically you are "cutting them down to 5/16" to match the field tiles. If you don't have access to a good saw, it might be a bit tedious, but can be done. I've done exactly this several times...

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 12:41PM
thrauli

TileTech-thanks for your response. I'll have to ask if this tile can be cut vertically.

Bookmark   June 30, 2012 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Inexpensive laminate for apt. over a detached garage?
I'm shopping for a laminate for this space, my contactor...
happyallison
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
Need help getting ink/marker off hard wood flooring
Anyone had a child mark on their hardwood floors with...
mattsarmymom
We might replace our wood floor with new....
I have 20yr old hardwood floor in our foyer. It is...
cindywhitall
Appalachian Flooring made in Canada
http://www.appalachianflooring.com/evershine I have...
cindywhitall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™