craftsman garage door opener

tasklineDecember 7, 2006

I have just changed the gear on my opener and now it will go up only 2 feet and then it goes back down. what have I done wrong and how do I fix it? thanks for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doorguy06

Make sure you put the black cup ( black circle ) back on the shaft and have it pushed all the way on. Also make sure the small circuit board just to the left of that cup is plugged in.

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 9:06PM
taskline

I only replaced the drive gear, nothing else. it only will move 2 feet then reverses.

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 6:20PM
Don_

You say you only changed the drive gear. Did you have the chain off the sprocket? Is the door going up two feet and reversing or going down two feet and reversing? Did you get a set of instructions with the new gear? The answers will help.

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 7:41PM
taskline

I have taken the opener down and removed the gear to see if that is the problem. the motor goes about 1 second then reverses in other direction. it seems like there is a limit switch issue but, all the connections are in tact. any thoughts?

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 8:49PM
Don_

On the front of the motor shaft (door side) there should be a black plastic cup. Make sure it is pressed all the way onto the shaft and that the quick disconnect with 4 wires is firmly pressed onto the small circuit board in the same area. This will cause the problem you are experiencing.

Bookmark   December 9, 2006 at 12:32PM
taskline

Don, your a hero!!! Now I have to take back the new opener I just purchased this morning from Sears. thanks for the help,

Ron

Bookmark   December 9, 2006 at 5:40PM
toml61

after a long time without use the door closed but now does not respond to any command. it is a model 139.xxxxxSRT and i disconnected teh single button wall mount and the only response is teh green light on the back flashing 5 times. any ideas?

Bookmark   December 22, 2006 at 5:46PM
More Discussions
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Need help diagnosing Chamberlain Garage Door Problem
Hi, Have a 1/3 Chamberlain Liftmaster that started...
koalb01
Moisture coming up through garage floor
House is in South Dakota. Split foyer. Built in 1977...
ohmmm_gw
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™