Garage door won't open

chet_43December 1, 2006

Took off the cover of my Craftsman 1/2 HP garagedoor opener and there was a ton of white "sawdust" like material. Sure it was from the stripped horizontal rotor. Loosened all the screws to take that assembly out but realized I still have the vertical bar engaged by the pulley above the assembly. Do I have to undo the pulley too?

Help please.

Many thanks in advance,

Chet

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doorguy06

Loosen the chain or belt and take it off the sprocket. Take off the cover and remove the small limit driving gear and the limit switches themselves. You will have four bolts with 5/16th heads on them holding the motor up. Remove them. This should expose the gear and sprocket assembly. You will have 3 bolts with 5/16th heads on them holding the gear and sprocket in place. Remove them and the gear and sprocket should slide right out. Put the new one in. You will have to rethread the holes in the new gear and sprocket, you just run the old bolts through and they will thread it for you. Make sure you lube the new gear and put it all back together and set the limits.

You can also just replace the gear by driving out the bottom roll pin, then drop the motor and slide the gear off. Don't worry about replacing the worm gear, bushings, or anything else.

Bookmark   December 2, 2006 at 7:35PM
mgeorge

I have a Python II opener. My problem is that when I push the opener on the wall, the door opens about 2 ft. Then I hit the button and it goes down. This happens quite frequently. It also happens with the remotes. However, some times the door will open when I keep my finger pressed on the button. Please help.

Bookmark   December 10, 2006 at 9:32AM
doorguy06

Disconnect the door from the opener in the down position and see how heavy it feels when lifting it. If it is taking alot of effort you may have a broken spring or you need to have a technician come out and adjust the spring tension. Otherwhise on the back of the unit you will have two black knobs marked up and down force. Adjust the up force a quarter turn or so and it should take care of it for you.

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Keyless lock for manual garage door?
I have a two car garage with separate manual lift garage...
mrpandy
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Sponsored Products
Lynk 451121 Roll Out Under Sink Drawer 11.5W x 21D x 14H in. - 451121
$79.50 | Hayneedle
MaxLite LSU4806SU30DV50 4 Foot LED Utility Wrap Fixture, 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Presidio Tryne Standard Ceiling Fan by Fanimation Fans
$549.00 | Lumens
Quoizel Stonington 10 1/2" High Bronze Outdoor Wall Light
$79.99 | Lamps Plus
PlayStar Playsets Giant Scoop Wave Slide - PS 8816
$420.99 | Hayneedle