Furniture & Autistic son

twingleOctober 27, 2012

I have 4 boys. My youngest is Autistic. He is 9. He is potty trained but when he is going through a period o adjustment he has deliberate potty accidents. Its his way of letting you have it I guess anyway he has ruined my 2 couches & I had to throw them out. These couches were scotch guarded & washable covers but too many accidents. Any suggestions of what kind of couches and how to protect them?? Thx

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ellendi

Leather?

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 5:08PM
rmanbike

Leather can be porous, so I would recommend a commercial grade vinyl. Naugahyde is one brand.
But more important is to purchase a sofa that is "ready to assemble" and that also assembles together using standard module parts/components. Easy to replace any of the components that have been damaged. For instance you can replace or repair a seat cushion or arm or seat deck etc. Even with the same original material.
No more throwing out the whole sofa just because one place needs to repaired.

Here is a link that might be useful: replace or repair modular built sofas

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 9:05PM
Artichokey

I have a fabric couch; the cushions that we sit on are covered with a twin-sized waterproof mattress pad, tucked around the cushions and secured with those little straps that are sold to hold dust ruffles in place, and then there's a machine-washable slipcover over the whole thing, including the back cushions. I expected that it would be obvious that one was sitting on a waterproof mattress pad, but it's not "crunchy" or uncomfortable at all. If I were concerned about urine on the back cushions, it would be pretty easy to put another twin-sized waterproof mattress cover around those: the slipcover fits over it just fine.

Not the most elegant solution, but it got us through a "pee-on-the-couch" phase without any damage to the underlying cushions. Now if only I were confident that the "vomit-on-the-couch" stage were over... but that one seems to reappear a few times a year!

Bookmark   October 29, 2012 at 3:02AM
patty_cakes

Whatever you decide to buy, you might want to consider using a twin size waterproof mattress pad on the seating area when your son is sitting on the sofa. It can be removed for washing as well as when having visitors.

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Durability of white leather
Will a white leather sofa discolor eventually no matter...
booyah053
Rove concepts
Hi: I was wondering if anyone has heard about Rove...
chitra0828
need help with living room furniture placements
Hi, I have this living room 16.5 by 21.5 and the fireplace...
missbaggy
Does Vanguard Furniture make a quality sectional
Hello. I am agonizing over finding the right sectional...
maggiewp
Is using natural latex foam for sofa seat cushions going overboard?
I know this must seem like an odd question, but 100%...
texasgal47
Sponsored Products
Dutailier 2 Post Glider - Coffee and Light Brown Microfiber Fabric - 62A100-62-3
$339.00 | Hayneedle
Homelegance Euro Casual Upholstered Arm Chair [Set of 2]
Beyond Stores
Liberty Furniture Harbor View Sleigh Bed & Dresser & Mirror in Sand Finish
Beyond Stores
Espresso Stackable Modular Storage Cube Plus - Set of Six
$99.99 | zulily
McCarren Coffee Table - NATURAL
$1,199.00 | Horchow
Euro Style Tendy Bar Stool - Wenge - Set of 2 - EUS1006
$403.00 | Hayneedle
Mitchell Sofa - Cordova Picante Orange