Sears/Craftsman garage door opener/remote opener

breidlerDecember 28, 2007

I have a Sears/Craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener #139.53681B, with the date of 01/98. I have the standard craftsman 3-button remote opener. Everything was working fine until I needed to change the battery in one of the remotes. Now, when I went to activate the remote after replacing the battery it deactivated the other remote. Then I tried to reactive the remote and it deactivated the other one. I tried clearing the settings, unplugging the system and then plugging it back in and reactivating the remotes with still the same problems.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!! I need some serious help!

I tried calling Sears and Craftsman hotlines with no help whatsoever.

Please send any suggestions to btreidler@sbcglobal.net.

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

One of your remotes has reverted to an earlier technology. You will need to purchase a new remote from Sears. Make sure it is the same model number or a guaranteed replacement. After a little experimenting you will know which remote works with the new one and which doesn't. Toss the one that doesn't work in the trash so that it doesn't cause problems in the future.

Bookmark   December 30, 2007 at 1:29PM
mike204

I am having the same problem. My model # is 13953673SRT1. I've tried a number of things I've read online, and even bought a new remote. I still cannot program more then one remote at a time. sears and chamberlain will not offer assistance on this either. Any other suggestions from anyone?

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 10:53AM
don_1_2006

It is important you buy the correct remote for your opener. If the model number doesn't match the remote that is working then no one knows.

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 2:21PM
spotty_2008

Hi,

I have a Sears GDO model 139.53914 w/ 2 Security+ 3-function remote (139.53681B) and a Security+ keyless entry (139.53684). Bought this unit in Sep 2004.
Yesterday the wall unit is working fine but 2 remote and the keyless entry do not work. Try to follow the manual to reprogram the remote but still have problem, try to erase the codes from motor unit memory ans restart from fresh but still have the same problem.

Please help....Thanks

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 6:52PM
don_1_2006

You have a bad logic board which contains the receiver.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 4:53PM
spotty_2008

It works fine until last week when I unplug the GDO before going on vacation for 2 weeks. I did this before and did not see any problem until this time.
How much is the logic board cost and is it easy to replace?

Thanks.

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 11:12PM
don_1_2006

The logic board runs around $80.00 and is easy to replace.

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 4:48PM
spotty_2008

Thanks Don.
The complete GDO is $169.99 but the logic board is $80.00?
Do we have any to troubleshoot or fix this board cheaper?

Thanks

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 5:09PM
don_1_2006

The manufacturer has never made a schematic available for these. Labor costs just got too high.

Bookmark   January 4, 2008 at 6:13PM
spotty_2008

Hi Don,
Today just try to press the remotes and they work, including the keyless entry pad. Do you have any ideas?

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 12:26AM
don_1_2006

No way to tell what is going on. Just another mystery.

Bookmark   January 8, 2008 at 12:05PM
spotty_2008

It works fo a week then quit again. Call the service guy and they charge labor for $90.00 + $75.00 for the logic board = the price of the new GDO.
I just open the side of the GDO where the logic borad is connected, unplug the power, unplug the connectors, then plug them back and turn power on, they work...but do not know for how long...

Bookmark   January 15, 2008 at 11:53AM
julsie_2009

I have a problem with both of my remotes. The new garage door motor was installed 3 years ago and we got two remotes. One worked for only a month and the other until recently, but with neither one working it is a problem. The ID numbers are:
IC2666A TX2028
Date: 11/05
FCC ID: HBW2028

Do you have any suggestions? I thought about trying to replace the battery, but rarely used and not that old, although I would do that, but truthfully I can't figure out how to open the unit. I need all the help you can give me!

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 1:54PM
don_1_2006

Step number one is to try the batteries. Even new batteries can be faulty. Does the door operate from the wall control? Do you have a wireless keypad and if so is it working? The answers to these questions will help.

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 4:10PM
robison_a

I am having an issue with the wall operator.. the door goes up normally when i press the big button but in order for it to go down i need to press and hold it. Same with the remote, if i press the button it goes up but does not come down. Can anyone please help??!!! THANKS SO MUCH!!

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 10:41PM
robison_a

i just wrote that question but NEVERMIND!!! i fixed it!! one of the sensors was off. (: YAY! Thanks anyway!

Bookmark   August 11, 2009 at 11:01PM
beachsidesodi_yahoo_com

I am with Julsie_2009: I don't know how to open my inherited 9/98, 139.53681B GDO remote in order to change the battery, either. It is the 3 variable sized button style. The back of the GDO remote states to "Open this end" but doesn't state whether to pry it open or slide it open; if slide it open, which direction? Neither of these options work easily.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 9:19PM
don_1_2006

Slide off the visor clip and use it to twist the slot on the end of the remote. The two halves pop apart.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 9:50AM
jwanke_ntd_net

Wondering if anyone has had a problem with the opener continually losing the transmitter code. Transmitter reprograms fine, but after a couple days, the transmitter stops working and the light in the hard-wired door button flashes. BTW, the second Craftsman opener in my garage continues to work using the same transmitter (separate button of course).

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 10:16AM
don_1_2006

Your logic board is failing.

Bookmark   June 22, 2011 at 4:28PM
efamily71

wondering if anyone can help. i was just given a chamberlain liftmaster GDO. had a sears craftsman tht was working fine. but the chamberlain has more HP. but when i changed it out the chamberlain one would not communicate with my keyless entry . any ideas? please help.

Bookmark   July 10, 2011 at 11:02PM
don_1_2006

No one can help you without model numbers.

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™