Converting wood stairs to carpet

hoosierdocJune 5, 2011

We're trying to get an idea of what this would take. Considering purchasing a house but need some modifications.

These stairs are wood with metal at the corners, and then this metal railing. We'd want them carpeted with potentially a different railing on there. Do you have to remove the whole railing or just the cap piece on the vertical post in order to do the flooring work?

Also, would you remove surface wood or just carpet over it? Is it very expensive to resurface stairs?

thanks for any advice!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

What is 'metal at the corners'...and what do you mean by 'the cap piece on the vertical post'?

Carpet is a covering...you don't need to do much of anything to prep, unless you're changing the basic stair design elements.

Bookmark   June 5, 2011 at 2:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weedyacres

Glenn: If you click on the link you can see the "metal at the corners" and "cap piece".

Hoosier: Typically carpeters just go over/around what's there. They'd probably pull up the base plate around the balluster, but cut around the actual balluster.

The other option would be to just run carpet up the middle, not over the sides and under the railing. But then those metal angles would be poking out the side. I suspect if you remove those angle you'll have an unattractive joint between the tread and riser.

It does cost more to carpet stairs than it does to carpet floors, for obvious reasons of labor intensity.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 6:47PM
More Discussions
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
Flooring for road noise - Carpet or LVT
Hi Everyone, We are looking into replacing our entire...
houston70sranch
Black Walnut Grades
Hi all! Could someone tell me if these two pictures...
luciole
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™