Sears Garage Door Opener problem

xicemanDecember 19, 2008

Model 139.53627SRT opens solid, tilt-type door (not rollup) about three feet and then stops. It does not reverse as if hitting obstruction. When i disconnect the door from the opener, the opener operates properly. I have lubricated all hinges points in door hardware and cleaned the track of the opener. When opening the door manually, I cannot feel any obstruction or hard place when passing through where the opener stops (about three feet). HELP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

On the back of your motor unit you will find a control 'up force'. Increase this a bit and try.

Bookmark   December 21, 2008 at 3:53PM
xwing79

I'm having a similar problem. I increased the "up force" and it worked fine once. When I tried it again it still got hung up a couple of feet above the ground. I increased it again and it worked once and then had the same problem. Is my motor going or do I just need to keep increasing the up force until it works fine on a regular basis?

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 3:16PM
don_1_2006

You may have a broken spring or your drive gear is going bad. The drive gear is white nylon and is just in front of the motor. You will have to remove the cover.

Bookmark   December 27, 2008 at 4:21PM
More Discussions
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™