Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Overhead? Where to start 4 garage door

finz2leftDecember 28, 2009

and opener?

We have a home that has never had a garage door opener or garage door (it is 15 years old). Oddly, in our neighborhood, that is very common.

Other than price and R value, what she would be looking for in starting our search? I'm tempted to just go into HD and say, come out and do it, but my gut says that is the wrong strategy, LOL.

thanks! Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

One of the problems with Sears, Home Depot and Lowes is that they just collect your money and then hire someone else to do the work. I would prefer dealing with the worker myself. But you can get estimates from them all. The yellow pages are full of garage door installers.

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 3:15PM
creek_side

Start by researching the brands. There are several, but the two biggies are Overhead Door and Clopay. I have had both and recommend neither. I have not had any other brand, but will the next time.

Check the Yellow Pages for door companies in your area. They normally list what brands they sell and install. Make a list and research them using the web. While you are at it, try and get ratings on the local companies if you can.

Finally, talk to those that have brands you are interested in and get quotes.

FWIW, Chamberlain (they also make the Craftsman brand) openers have a good reputation. Wayne Dalton appears to have issues with its openers from the web posts I have come across.

If you want to install your own door, Clopay from a box store is the only game in town.

Good luck.

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 6:24PM
finz2left

Thanks. I think installing myself would be above my diy skills. I wasn't sure if the locals would be "good" doors compared to "big store" brands. Thank you...I'll start calling around!

Bookmark   December 28, 2009 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™