Garage Door Exhaust Port

jlhugheyDecember 2, 2006

Shop vacuums have high velocity exhaust, which really can stir up noxious/toxic dust in the area you are trying to vacuum. To avoid this, I just purchased extra segments of hoses to vent it out the door. In very cold weather, my planned solution is to have a covered port (or something similar)in the garage door where I can put the exhaust hose.

When I went to Lowes or Home Depot, all the staff could locate were Close Dryer vents, which were not much use here. Google does not offer a clue either, except to send me here for the first time (Lucky, I guess).

Anyone have any simple ideas? Is there a place selling these items online, or a distributor you can suggest?

My backup plan is just to buy a hose connector and mount/epoxy it on an adapter plate, then attach the plate to the garage door. However, I would prefer to have a simple port with a slideable shield.

While I am at it, in general, are there speciality places that offer adaptable hood-like vents with tools such as a grinder or a table saw, where the vents can be attached to a shop vacuum? Better still, if you have a URL with do-it-yourself ideas, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doorguy06

Go to google and type in Service Spring Corp. Do a sight search and Garage door exaust ports. They will have a couple of links to try. You may also try a local door dealer.

Bookmark   December 2, 2006 at 7:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
over_n_under

How about going to a woodworking store, and getting a 'dust collection blast gate'? It is used for vacuum systems where you can direct the suction to one or two devices at a time instead of losing suction over all of one's powertools at once. Rockler woodworking stores have them. I don't know if the following link will work, but I went to Rockler.com and did a search on 'blast gate'. http://www.rockler.com/search_results.cfm?filter=blast+gate&submit.x=21&submit.y=6

Bookmark   December 6, 2006 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™