Tung oil finish ok with peanut allergy???

satsynanaJune 25, 2011

Help please...our grandson has a peanut allergy. We were planning to use pure tung oil to finish our walnut and reclaimed oak flooring but need to know if it will adversely affect our grandson. Any ideas or where I can get definitive answers?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Ask your children to ask his allergist or pediatrician.

Tung oil comes from a nut ... but I don't think it's in the same plant family as peanuts

    Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 9:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art_teacher_mom

Perhaps it might say something on the can? We used Waterlox and it mentioned on the can that people with severe peanut allergies might react until it had cured. I don't have the can in front of me, but I believe it (or someone else) said it took 30 days to cure.

I would definitely do some more research to be sure.

My friend's son had severe peanut allergies and we didn't let him come over to our house for a while after we did the floors. He did eventually come over months later and was fine.

    Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 9:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rachelima

My son has a severe peanut allergy and I I have never come across this specific subject. Three things to consider:
1) Most people's food allergies are only to INGESTING the protein they are allergic to. Is he still so young he would be licking the floor?
2)Does he have asthma? It is extremely rare that an allergic reaction occurs in the lungs, but having diagnosed asthma increases the chance this can happen by breathing in proteins.
3) Being allergic to peanuts does not mean you are anaphylactic to nuts, and tung oil comes from a nut and maybe even a seed, both of which are not a peanut nor a legume. If your grandson is allergic to peanuts and not consuming nuts it is because of cross contamination: most nut shelling companies also shell peanuts on the same line, mixing up the proteins. This would not be an issue with tung oil as it is probably so over-processed, any proteins would be cooked away, and it is not a peanut!
If it was my non-asthmatic, only peanut allergic grandson, I would keep him away for 30 days after applying the tung-oil, then not worry about it at all. You are being a super grandparent worrying about this!!!!!!!!!

    Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 9:07PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help: c.1997 Hartco Pattern Plus 5000
Hello to anyone reading, and thanks. I have Hartco...
speaktodeek
Smartstrand carpet dilema
I am replacing the carpet in my family room and after...
sharon_va
Please help - can't find a review anywhere
I haven't been able to find any consumer feedback on...
ciana
EZ Lay Vinyl Plank Reviews?
We are looking at installing the Tiramisu EZ Lay Vinyl...
kyorkston
No hardwood warranty from HOM Furniture store - midwest
So after falling in love with Birch engineered floor...
Maryna
Sponsored Products
Traditional Thermostatic Shower System,Apron Head, Handset & Body Jets
Hudson Reed
George Kovacs Torii Matte Nickel 16" Wide Bathroom Light
Euro Style Lighting
Park West 5Lt Chandelier a Burnt Sienna
PLFixtures
Solana Polished Nickel Two-Light Fluorescent Wall Mounted Bath Fixture
$132.00 | Bellacor
Dining Chair Dark Walnut (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Remer by Nameeks N83BUS Single Handle Pull Out Kitchen Faucet - REMER N83BUS
$612.98 | Hayneedle
Nonstick Mini Loaf Pan - Set of Four
$9.49 | zulily
Tuba Glass Bronze and Rust Table Lamp Set of 2
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™