Tile that looks like wood

peabody1June 13, 2012

I am considering tile that looks like wood for my lanai. Would anyone have this in their home and care to share their thoughts on it and photos?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana

The link below discusses it and has some pics. I'm not sure if the member who posted the pics checks in here regularly or not though.

I've recently started to think I might like the wood look tiles in my living room, since I have a dog, and because of the ease of maintenance. I haven't started shopping for the tile though and would have to see it 'in person' before actually buying any.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelain tiles that look like wood

Bookmark   June 13, 2012 at 11:52AM
sserra85

I have a wood look tile throughout my main living areas. It is SUCH a breeze to maintain. I am in the tile business so of course my opinion is biased. But I also have wood floors in the bedrooms. Here's my take on it:

Nothing can compare to the look and feel of natural wood. Wood is warmer, it scratches, it dings, and generally is cheaper than tile.

Tile on the other hand is hard, cold (which in the summer can be nice), more expensive, and then there's the issue of grout. It does not scuff, scratch, ding, stain, and is waterproof. It is also harder to install, and can break, especially if not installed properly.

For me, It was about piece of mind. I don't have to stress about walking gently. I can drag furniture, I can drop things, I can be as messy as I want, and I can clean my floors with anything I want. I don't have to worry about guests and their shoes. And I don't have to worry about the dog.

Here are a few photos, the house is not done yet, and the floor and grout are still very dusty...

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 1:53PM
terrinm

twn85 your floors look great! Would you mind sharing what brand / color they are? Thank you!

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 9:14PM
More Discussions
Is it a bad idea to use pebble tiles in the kitchen?
I am wondering if pebble tiles work ok in the kitchen...
sherry0117
Marble floor in a high traffic area?
I was planning to purchase marble for the floor in...
lucik77
Filler in travertine marble tiles is coming out causing pitting
We put travertine marble throughout our house. We were...
caribbeancupcake
Tiling on Cement Subfloor or Wood Subfloor?
I live in San Francisco and we are not near any water...
gqchynaboy
Handscraped hardwood -- will it become dated?
So we are in the process of building a new home. We...
carsonheim
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™