Cutting and Laying Tile

johnc777June 7, 2012

Please see my previous post "Floor Construction" for more details on the project. The better half has decided that the bathroom needs a bit of updating and she would like new tile and some bead board on the walls.

My plan was rip up the old tile and substrate, fill in with OSB, a layer of 1/2" cement board over that and then tile. So far, so good. Or at least I think so.

The tile she picked is 6" x 36" and looks like weathered wood. Overall I think the effect will be pretty sharp but I'm worried about the technical difficulties of working with the tile. I've done tile work before but with traditional square tiles up to about 12".

I'm thinking, in order to maintain the appearance, that I need a pretty thin grout line for this new tile. That makes me think that the tiles need to be aligned pretty darn carefully.

As I was laying in bed last night I'm wondering how the heck I'm going to rip this tile to width. Most rental wet saw don't have anywhere near a 36" capacity. I know they make saws that big but finding one might be a challenge. Rent a saw with an 18" capacity and flip the tile over? Rent one of the saws that look like a small table saw? I'm wondering about ripping accurately with such a small fence...no to mention those tend to have pretty small motors and this tile is 7/16" thick.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TileTech

You can always cut halfway thru and then flip the tile to complete the cut. Best used where the baseboard will hide it eh?

Most of these tiles have a bit of "cupping" to them, so you want to stagger them at 1/3 or at worst, 1/2. You should be able to set them pretty close. I've even butted them on the side with NO grout and it looked fine....

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 10:01PM
More Discussions
carpet comparison
We are looking at 2 carpets right now. Both are Anso...
sutrotower96
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
bamboo floor fumes--anyone else have this problem??
Hi, has anyone installed a bamboo floor and had trouble...
nikwaters
LVP Underlayment
Hello all. Like everyone here I am in the middle of...
ryancoc22
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™