Drafty garage door

YojoeDecember 17, 2010

Hi, I'm a frequent reader of this site, and now have a question.

My home is two years old and the garage doors face the north. When we get wind from the north, the garage doors blow in enough to create a gap around the edges from the weather strip (stop moulding). I can move the door this way by just tugging on the door from the inside, I then see daylight coming in around the edges. It seems there is enough movement of the rollers in the track to allow this to happen. I have ended up with snow/rain in my garage. I have a double garage door and a single, both have this issue. The doors are steel+insulation.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know if the door or track can be adjusted (by a professional) to keep the door tight against the weather strip? I looked and the weather strip is installed right up to the edge of the trim, so I can't really move it tighter to the door.

Thanks in advance for the help. I have found a lot of answers on this site in the past.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

I wouldn't adjust the track to press the door against the rigid stop molding as this could/would eventually result in a stuck door. Rather, you need a weather seal that will yield as the door presses against it.
You can get lengths of stop molding that includes a flexible PVC flap that should allow for a better seal than you now have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage Door Parts

Bookmark   December 17, 2010 at 3:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Yojoe

Thanks for the advice. Mine has a flap, but I'll see what is out there, perhaps a better performing product is available. Thanks again for the help.

Bookmark   December 17, 2010 at 5:38PM
More Discussions
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™