Gear stripped on garage door opener

eslaym01December 15, 2008

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP garage door opener and the drive gear has shredded. If I replace the drive gear, is there anything I can adjust so that my gear is not stripped again? What causes this? Age? (Mine is at least ten yrars old!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

This is a common problem especially on an opener the age yours is. That gear takes the brunt of the operation. One thing that is often ignored is the maintenance of the door itself. The springs also grow weak with time. Ten years is actually considered the normal life of an opener although most people get more.

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 4:27PM
randy427

I've had my Sears GDO for 21 years and replaced the drive gears twice. As mentioned above, maintenance on the door hardware is important to get maximum life out of the GDO. Does he door operate smoothly with the GDO, or does it shake, rattle and jerk on the way up or down?
With the GDO traveler disengaged, make sure the door operates smoothly and is in balance with the springs. With the bottom of the door at about chest height, it should not have to be held to remain in that position.

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 11:36AM
crs1655

I had the same problem with my drive gears, and I've replaced them. But now the door won't open more than 3 inches, so here's my question: if my door wouldn't remain in waist-high position when the traveler was disengaged, am I having an issue with my springs? If so, can I repair that on my own, will I need help, or should I just replace the whole system?

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 3:01PM
don_1_2006

I'm a firm believer in leaving the springs to the professionals. They can be dangerous. I think you should call out a door technician and let him recommend what you need. Talk to some neighbors and see if you can find someone they have had experience with.

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 3:53PM
crs1655

It's odd - once the new gear was in place, I tested the opener without the exterior casing or the sprocket cap, and got no results. I put the casing and cap back on, and everything works now. Either I underestimated the importance of the casing and cap, needed to give my opener some time to resync with the power on, or just caught a break. Thanks for your reply about the springs - I tend to agree.

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™