2001 Craftsman GDO 13953976SRT

tochimanDecember 5, 2006

Opener has worked great until recently. Frequently will not open all the way. Stops at various mid-way points. Closes completely with no issues, just won't open all the way at times. When closing after an incident, entire system shuts off for about 15 seconds and then comes back on. Sometimes light blinks spastically, but not with any specific pattern. Unplugged and replugged, tightened wire connections, checked for obstructions and checked sensors (one green/one yellow). Can't figure out what the GDO is trying to tell me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

Sounds like your springs may be losing strength or your drive gear may be wearing. Take off the cover and look around the front of the motor (door side). You will see a white nylon gear. Look for wear and possible white saw dust. If the gear looks okay you will find a control on the end where all those white wires go that is marked 'up force'. Increase it about a quarter turn and try the door.

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 11:33AM
tochiman

I removed the cover and as I was doing it, my vibrations were shutting the entire GDO off and on. Keypad, lights and sensors together were clicking on and off as if I was pulling the plug and plugging back in. I tried opening the door and bumped the housing and it shut off. I hit it again and it came on, etc, etc. I did see some wear and white sawdust on the nylon sprocket but not enough for replacement (I think). Because it sounds like a microswitch is tripping in the circuit board, I unplugged and removed the wires and then the circuit board. Can I get a replacement for a decent price?

Bookmark   December 5, 2006 at 11:18PM
Don_

Sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere. The price of the board runs about $80.00 but I wouldn't do that. Once that gear starts shedding the white sawdust it is a one way downhiull street.

Bookmark   December 6, 2006 at 2:13PM
rottenguatemalan

So if the gear is toast, is it worthwhile to replace it? Or is it better to get a new motor unit? rg

Here is a link that might be useful: Gears

Bookmark   December 9, 2006 at 5:42PM
doorguy06

Bad drive gears are among the most common problems with openers. If it is a newer unit I would replace it (the gear), if it is older it might not be worth the service and labor charges to replace it.

Bookmark   December 9, 2006 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Crown molding garage door
I was thinking of putting crown molding above my garage...
hoganjr
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
Sponsored Products
Sponge Vase by Moooi
$225.00 | Lumens
Kichler Woodland Lake Craftsman-Mission Outdoor Hanging Lantern
1800Lighting
Khaki Giclee LED Reading Light Plug-In Sconce
Lamps Plus
Lineage Collection Downlight 12 3/4" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Home and More Christmas Moose Welcome Mat - 12097
$22.98 | Hayneedle