Sears garage opener thinks its in open position

timsrDecember 15, 2008

Sears garage door model 139.53991 - The garage door lost its mind and thinks its in the open position when the door is actually closed... It happened over night. I haven't replaced any gears or perfomed any other maintenance on it. How can I get the remotes (wall and portable) in sync with the opener??? Any help with this is appreciated. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Could you explain what it is actually doing? I know the door is closed but what does it do when you press a button?

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 4:21PM
timsr

Hi, The door is closed and when I hit the wall or hand held opener control it makes noise as if it wants to work. After further inspection I noticed the "shaft" attached to the top of the opener is trying to turn, but in the close position direction (I think turning left). I have an identical opener that still works and verified the correct "open" direction is the opposite way for the shaft to be turning when closed to open (I think right, clockwise). I used a screwdriver touching both the working andd non working shaft to determine the direction it tries to turn. I hope this information is enough for you to provide guidence on repairing it. Thanks again. Tim

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 11:30AM
don_1_2006

You can try adjusting the 'down limit'. It is on the side of the motor unit and you need to turn it in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Might not be a bad idea to remove that cover and take a look at the limit switch assembly. You should get an idea how it works and what is happening.

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 1:55PM
timsr

Thanks, I'll try the down limit... Next I'll check the Limit switch assembly behind the cover. First I need to research what the limit switch is for and how it works like you said. Thanks again and have a happy holiday if I don't hear back from you.

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 1:23PM
More Discussions
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Sponsored Products
Geneva 1 Shelf Short Wall Unit - 301911
$136.96 | Hayneedle
Westinghouse Outdoor Lanterns. New Haven Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Oil Rubbed B
$42.55 | Home Depot
Beckwith Ceiling Fan by Fanimation Fans
$499.00 | Lumens
Adirondack Chair: Designers Choice Sunbrella Adirondack Chair Cushion
$119.99 | Hayneedle
Luna Outdoor Wall Sconce 85215-85216 by Maxim Lighting
$188.00 | Lumens
Free Standing Cabinets Racks & Shelves: Sandusky Garage Cabinets 36 in. L x 18
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™