They always come back

bobsyouruncle99May 21, 2010

My 42 year old daughter and her 8 year old son have been living with me for over 5 years now. The problems since they move in and even now are numerous, but one concern for me is the freedom she gives her son. She seems to be trying to be his friend instead of a parent. She tells him its time to get ready for bed at 8:30 then she disappears to her room. Mean while, he just continues on with what he's doing. When he finally does go up stairs it's 9:30 or 10 o'clock. She then feel as it's time to play a game or read. Last night he didn't get into bed until 10:30. He wakes up tired in the morning.

He doesnÂt eat until 8 oÂclock at night. That last thing he had to eat was lunch at school at 12 noon, so he fills up on ice cream or yogurt until dinner.

When I mention these discrepancies, she gets offended, puts me down, and then tells me what a great parent she is.

Currently she is more interested in finding dates and talking on the phone, which she is on most hours of the day. She doesnÂt work and I support them both on my retirement.

If it wasnÂt for my Grandson, I would have kicked her out years ago.

My question: Am I being old fashion or doesnÂt my daughter really know what it means to be a parent? Should I just keep my mouth shut and let what happens, happen?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

Your house, your rules. She is a child. Tell her bedtime, get a job etc. You take control of the boy. She will either grow up or move out. When and if she moves out, make sure the child is protected. Give her no money. Restrict the phone it you have to unplug it and hide it. You are allowing her to control you thru her son, and if you are paying all the bills, including medical it is only going to get worst. Make sure you hide any credit cards and checks so she will not forge your name. Insist that she take parenting courses. It is called tough love and believe me I know.
I would not put up with it. I am asuming there is no husband.

Bookmark   May 21, 2010 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Grandson...Here, But I Miss Him!
I feel very sad because my almost 7 year old grandson...
sentimentalnana
grandmother teases granddaughter
How do I stop my mother from teasing my 9yo grandaughter....
Tamaras
Gift ideas for 50th Wedding Anniversary
I need some gift ideas for my elderly (75+) difficult-to-buy-for...
onehappymeal
Uninterested Grandparents
I'm becoming more and more troubled by the behavior...
iarsk
Daughter's messy house...
My daughter and SIL have 2 beautiful children that...
alamator
Sponsored Products
CS018 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
Asher modern sectional sofa
Interior Define
Orbitor Galvanized 16-Inch Outdoor Wall Light with Frosted Glass
$277.95 | Bellacor
Area Rug: Wild Flowers Ivory 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Grand Bank Convertible Pendant by Kichler
$217.80 | Lumens