Door won't open in cold weather

flinchDecember 1, 2006

Our garage door opens just fine in nice weather, but as soon as it goes below 30 degrees, it malfunctions, and only opens if we fiddle with the switch over and over again. Since we live in northern Wisconsin, we have this problem from November to April! Is there something we can do to troubleshoot this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doorguy06

By switch do you mean wall button or remote? Does it work fine from one and not the other??

Bookmark   December 2, 2006 at 7:37PM
flinch

By switch, I mean the wall button. It will only open with the remote if the weather is above 30 degrees. And, to get it to open with the switch in this cold weather, we have to fiddle and fiddle with it.

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 4:57PM
doorguy06

It sounds to me like you have a circuit board issue. If the opener is not really old I would put a circuit board in it and see what happens.

Bookmark   December 12, 2006 at 6:40PM
ike0069

My door suddenly stopped opening up when it got really cold last week. I too had to "fiddle" with the swith to get it to open. I assumed it was due to the cold weather causing some resistance. I simply adjusted the Up force adjustment knob to give it a little more force and it now opens fine. Not sure if your door opener has a force adjustment knob or not, but likely it does. I'd try that and see if it makes a difference.

Bookmark   December 13, 2006 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
Need help diagnosing Chamberlain Garage Door Problem
Hi, Have a 1/3 Chamberlain Liftmaster that started...
koalb01
Moisture coming up through garage floor
House is in South Dakota. Split foyer. Built in 1977...
ohmmm_gw
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™