Tile with Particle Board Subfloor

aerosmithJune 23, 2010

We have luan over a 3/4 inch particle board subfloor with sheet vinyl. We are planning to have porcelain tile installed. I have read the posts about removing the particle board. My husband says it is impossible to remove the particle board. Can you cut it out around cabinets? It would be down to the floor joists? We have tile in our bathrooms and entryway. We have had no problems for 15 years. HELP! My husband is ready to kill me. I am waiting for my flooring contractor to contact me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Bill Vincent or the folks over at The John Bridge Forum ought to be able to describe what you need as a suspended wood floor system to have a successful porcelain tile job.

In short, however, the particle board would need to go. It can be neatly removed up to cabinets, but you need the flush cut saw and other special tools to do that.

Consult with your flooring contractor. He or she ought to know how to do successful installations.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 8:36AM
aerosmith

Thank you! That is a great tile forum. My contractor says I am over educating myself to the point of anxiety. But I know from experience that I have to stay on top of things. We have had some poor work done. I found my cntractor through a referral group.... so I am going to trust him.

Bookmark   June 23, 2010 at 10:08AM
TileTech

Neither particle board or luan have any place in a tile installation. Both will delaminate in the presence of moisture. Your floor should be taken down to the studs. I use 3/4" exterior grade plywood, placed perpendicular to the studs with another layer of minimum 3/8" staggered to the first...face grade no less than "C." Do not glue the second layer and screw it only to the first layer...not into the joists. On this, either 1/4" cement board should be set in loosly-mixed thinset and screwed into place OR an uncoupling membrane such as DITRA installed over the second layer. You now have a totally bulletproof floor to tile upon. Sounds like a lot, but you only want to do this once!

Bookmark   June 29, 2012 at 12:08PM
lisaslists2000

I'm going to do what was suggested by TileTech in the message just above. But, I am also removing the tub. Should I remove tub and put this flooring down in the whole tiny bathroom then install new tub on top of it and then tile exposed part? Or what should go under the tub if not. Thank you for any help.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 6:02AM
brickeyee

What is the joist size ans span?

If the joists are small or at the span limit for their size THEY will flex more than allowed.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 10:30AM
TileTech

Lisa~Just to play it safe, I'd remove the tub and do as I suggested for the rest of the floor. You might be able to get by with just the two layers of plywood under the tub.....but you will want to "Bed" the tub with brick morter or expanding foam. Don't go too crazy with the foam....you just want to make a solid bed for the tub.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 6:10PM
More Discussions
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
Difference visually between 1/8 and 3/16 grout joints?
We're thinking 1/8 but the installer is suggesting...
joep_2009
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™