Recovering dining chairs in chenille

cba6777October 12, 2013

Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right place!

I have been working on recovering our kitchen chairs and dining room chairs to replace worn fabric. I have successfully recovered one of the kitchen chairs with a new vinyl to replace the ripped seat cover that was on it. I had looked up several how-to's on line to figure out how to do it, and it came out great!

Now on to the dining room chairs. I bought a textured black fabric that I found out later was chenille. (I don't sew, I really would like to learn!) While laying out the fabric to cut, I discovered it sheds A LOT. Shed on the floor, on my clothes.. .now I'm wondering if I made a mistake in buying this type of fabric. It was from a discount fabric shop, so maybe the quality is the problem.

Is there anything I can do to keep the fabric from shedding on people's clothing when they use the chairs? Is it only shedding because I am cutting it? Should I wash the fabric first? Anyone have the same experience?

At this point I'm not sure if I should just scrap the fabric and shop at another fabric store, or if I can use the fabric I already bought.

Thanks for any insight!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tibbrix

Chenille also doesn't wear well and will be worn down quickly from people sitting down and getting up all the time.

I have a chenille bathrobe I bought three years ago. It is STILL shedding all over the place!

Personally, I wouldn't put all that work in using chenille. I think you want a fabric that is sturdy and wears well.

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 7:31AM
cba6777

Thanks, Tibbrix. The only thing I was thinking of was that the chairs in the dining room are used only 1-2x per year, so I wasn't worried about too much wear and tear, just the fabric rubbing off on the few times we use them.

Is there a fabric you can recommend? The fabric that was on it from the manufacturer was a type of waffle weave, black fabric. Even with our cats, it has worn well - but the FL sun has faded it to the point that I thought the fabric was purple!

I was drawn to the chenille because it also had a texture (the chairs are a simple cherry type wood, and since it's sort of an asian themed dining room I didn't want a pattern, yet wanted some interest to the fabric).

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 3:25PM
tibbrix

Asian theme, huh? That would bring to my mind, anyway, fabrics more along the lines of silk or similar. How about a jacquard to give it texture but not a print, per se?

Bookmark   October 13, 2013 at 4:56PM
bobismyuncle

Chenille is not a particularly good fabric for an area that is likely to get wet, thus I would not recommend washing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Light spots on chenille

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Rove concepts
Hi: I was wondering if anyone has heard about Rove...
chitra0828
Room&Board Cruz Chaise Lounge Cushion help
I would be forever grateful If anyone has a Cruz chaise...
missmaggs
Can you help me identify this furniture maker/designer?
I acquired this mid-century table and chairs. Looks...
Julie Fortier
sectional sofa help
we're in the market for a sectional for our basement...
lmgch
Split Mahogany Furniture
In 2003, I purchased solid mahogany furniture (made...
nszzya
Sponsored Products
Galaxy Midnight Chrome Four-Light Midnight Chrome Ceiling Mount
$350.00 | Bellacor
Portofino Dining Arm Chair with Cushion, Patio Furniture
$599.00 | FRONTGATE
Firenze Sofa
| Italy Design
Onyx Creative Center With Drafting Chair - CC2012E
$259.99 | Hayneedle
Florence Style Loft 3 Piece Sofa Set in Dark Gray
$899.00 | LexMod