Grandpa visiting soon

mary11April 8, 2005

My dad is 85. I was a late-born baby (age 45), the youngest of three (my oldest brother is 63). My son is 9 years old, and tries very hard to engage grandpa in anything. My dad will die soon and I would like to bring them together somehow. Grandpa is in good shape intellectually, but has had many physical problems. Grandma has advanced alzheimers. Grandpa is in independent living, grandma in lock-down in Arizona. Grandpa was never a hand-on dad when I was growing up, my mom did that. He is from europe and the old school. I would like them to know each other in some special way, because I do not think my dad will live much longer. He is interested in his grandchild and asks about him, but does not want to play with him or interact with him much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laurelann

My Grandmother died when I was 5. It seemed she was always sick. But other than the memories of her in bed, I remember her sitting on a straight backed chair in the back yard, playing X's & O's with me, with pencil and paper. It wasn't alot but it was enough to leave me with a fine memory.

Laurelann

Bookmark   April 9, 2005 at 12:16PM
foggyj

It may be tough to get Grandpa to engage real well ,if it's not been in his nature. Can the three of you play little games, such as cards,etc. Just something to spend some time with each other. Are there any chores or something your son could do for his Grandfather? I know what you mean about "from the old school". You can't make them do anything they don't want. Sorry not to be of any help.

Bookmark   April 10, 2005 at 8:45PM
mary11

Foggy, It would be nice if I could get him to engage because he does complain of loneliness and he misses my mom terribly. Although he visits her every day, she is not there anymore. Most all of his friends have passed on, and he is a quiet, stoic person by nature. He never had any close intimate men friends, did not golf or anything like that. My son is at the age where he is still interested in Grandpa, but he is starting to give up. It's sad, but I guess it is what it is. However, Grandpa is a baseball nut and Jack is in little league this year (the worst team in the league, LOL :) Maybe I can get Grandpa to sit at a game or two with his crossword puzzles to watch? Although, he will probably get upset as Jack is not athletic like Grandpa was in his youth... PS Laurel, my grandma lived with us for many years and she was crippled, couldn't walk. But I do remember sitting on her lap (even at 12, but she was a big lady with a big heart). We would peel apples sprinkle with cinnamon and then eat them together. You are right, sometimes it's the little things you remember the most.

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
Liquid vitamin
Does anyone remember a thick, yellow liquid vitamin...
crabbypatty
Gift ideas for 50th Wedding Anniversary
I need some gift ideas for my elderly (75+) difficult-to-buy-for...
onehappymeal
Father's Day call
I need advice please. Fathers Day is tomorrow and my...
gotfan
Grandson...Here, But I Miss Him!
I feel very sad because my almost 7 year old grandson...
sentimentalnana
long...vent...Not seeing new grandbaby, nervous DIL
I am heartsick today. I have one child/son I am close...
laziblu
Sponsored Products
Char-Broil CB-940X Charcoal Grill - 08301390-26
$499.99 | Hayneedle
Liberty Furniture Grandpa's Cabin Student Desk in Aged Oak Finish
Beyond Stores
A & L Furniture Western Red Cedar Classic Porch Rocker - 680C-UNFINISHED
$210.00 | Hayneedle
Baby Block Photo Album
Classic Hostess
Oyster 'Grandpa & Me' Frame
$11.99 | zulily