Split Leather on sides of sofa?

lardbucketOctober 17, 2009

Is split leather that is used on the non-seating areas of a protected leather sofa(semi-analine)durable? Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laura11106

For any questions on leather you should get in touch with Duane at MyFurnitureForum.com

Here is a link that might be useful: My Furniture Forum

Bookmark   October 17, 2009 at 10:57PM
rmanbike

Its a way of saving the costs of using top full grain leather in areas thats not really needed, such as outside arms and backs. If the leather on the inside- seat/back cushions and arms of a good quality top full grain aniline dye, without a lot of pigments, then I wouldnt hesitate to have matching split leather on the outsides.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 6:48AM
lardbucket

Thanks for responses. Manbike, I noticed you discouraged semi-aniline pigmented leather. Actually, with the use my sofa will get, I think I need that type leather. You see, I have grandkids and pets that tend to rough house. Sometimes a baby may wet or spit up on the furniture. So, given that, do you think the semi-analine top grain corectted/ pigmented leather would be okay in the seating areas for me? Is there a difference in corrected and pigmented? Thanks for your input. Anyone else's input is appreciated too.

Bookmark   October 20, 2009 at 9:10PM
rmanbike

Leather in itself meaning its "natural qualities" is a pretty durable substance. If properly processed and tanned it will last for many years of children and pets. Sure by adding more pigments and also a heavier finish will make the leather more scratch and stain resistance at the expensive of softness and breath-ability. Corrected hides usually is of a lower grade hide that needs to be buffed-filled and stamped to create a more even-desirable leather. I dont recommend any products to treat your leather, mainly because all the ones I have seen doesnt provide any real test data that their product works, and I have seen too many people cause real harm to their upholstery leather by using these products.

Bookmark   October 23, 2009 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
Online slipcover companies
Need to re-slipcover our Arhaus Greta sectional, and...
kardut
Debating between a drexel or henredon bed
What is better quality? The are both 4 post beds. Just...
shweebies
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™