motion switch on garage opener

tonyb73December 17, 2009

I have 2 doors in my garage and are liftmaster 3850 with motion switch on them. ever since the elctric company put in new digital meter the opener light stays on when the motion switch is on. liftmaster sent me new logic board that didnt help then sent new wall switch smae problem. if motion switch is off and I use the door opener the light goes off after 3 minutes like it should. this is strange anybody have a answer. both door openers have they same problem

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

I would talk to the electric company and explain what is happening after they installed the new meter. Although the manufacturer of the opener calls that wall control a "motion sensor" in the owners manual it says it detects body heat. I think it must be detecting heat from the digit meter that was installed. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but this is something new.

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 4:56PM
creek_side

I will bet a dollar to a donut that the digital meter is generating radio frequency (RF) interference, which is affecting the opener's circuit board. The fault may lie with meter, the opener (overly sensitive to RF), or both.

I would start by telling the electric company and asking them to change out the meter. If it is generating electrical interference, it probably violates FCC regs. Sometimes a gentle mention of that fact can cause an electric utility to actually do something about their RF polluting equipment.

Good luck.

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 10:23PM
don_1_2006

I have been doing some snooping and I find the digital meter transmits data eliminating the meter reader. Good thing they put an off switch on that motion sensor.

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 1:09PM
tonyb73

I called COMed and waiting to hear from them

Bookmark   December 25, 2009 at 11:26AM
tonyb73

Comed came out today put in old meters. motion light works. they are trying to find out how to fix the problem with the new meters they are leaving in the old ones. Can RF signal be sheilded

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 1:26PM
More Discussions
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™