stain did not take sanded too much into the wood of the cabinet

pettifordOctober 3, 2009

I moved into a how so the cabinets where old. I sanded and staine the cabinets. However, in some areas I stained to much into the wood, so the color is uneven, and in other areas there are spots on the cabinets that did not take the stain. What should I do go to a darker stain it is now walnut. I used a stain that already had the polyurthene in it. And what is the best stain to use gloss,semi-gloss,or dress regular staain. My kitchen is walls are yellow and my appliances are black, laminate coutertop that is black with specks are brown,rust and gray.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

I am having problems completely understanding your issue, but I think you have two problems:

1. Sanding is not the way to remove finish. It does not completely nor evenly remove it. There may be some finish left in the pores of the wood that prevent the stain from taking. You may have also sanded through the veneer to the substrate, that is a different density substance. The way to remove old finish is to chemically strip.

2. Using "stain with polyurethane in it" (e.g., Polyshades) is very very difficult to get to apply evenly and without streaking. It is just a terrible product. Use separate stain and finish.

And for your last question, Gloss will show every defect. I recommend a satin or semi-gloss.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 11:15AM
western_pa_luann

"I moved into a how so the cabinets where old."

I got lost there....

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 11:55AM
bobismyuncle

Right, so much for the argument that you don't need to use standard English to be understood.

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
crate barrel sofa quality
what can be said about the crate and barrel sofa quality...
kermit_xc
Taylor King sofas ??
We have found a couple Taylor King sofas that we really...
fleurdelis05
Kitchen Table Repair
Hi. My kitchen table has a crack in it and I was wondering...
marc83
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
Need suggestions to soften my recliner
I bought a recliner from China, construction is fine...
biax
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™