Question on type of garage door drive

cassie_swpa_z6_7November 28, 2007

We have found answers before on this forum, and I did a quick search but did not see a recent thread on this question. If I missed it, I apologize.

We had Craftsman screw-drive garage door openers installed when we built the house in 2003. One gave out last month and the Sears repairman told us today that it would cost

$250 to fix and that he would recommend replacing it with a belt drive since they donÂt wear out as quickly. The garage is under the kitchen and dining room and both doors are used every day. We originally chose the screw drive because we understood it would be relatively quiet, which it has been (but of course manual operation is quieter!)

Rather than repair it based on the cost, we plan to replace and will probably get another Craftsman for a variety of reasons; however, we are unsure on the type of drive to get and whether to replace both now. We would probably prefer not to get a chain drive. Any advice on his advice on a belt drive?

Thanks in advance,

cassie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

If quiet is a factor do not get a chain drive. The screw drive was originally designed with the one piece door in mind. The door that swivels in the center. The kind of door you can't have if you live where it snows. The worst door ever made. Now I'm off my high horse. If you have sectional doors I would get the belt drive. I would wait until the second opener has a problem before I replaced it. Some of those things last 20 years.

Bookmark   November 29, 2007 at 6:30PM
cassie_swpa_z6_7

Don,
Thank you so much for your reply. We do have sectional doors and will take your suggestion to just replace the broken one for now.

We do have another question which hopefully makes sense given what little we know, but maybe can't be answered without seeing it. When the now-broken opener was installed, they had to cut the channels at least 6-8" because of duct work in the garage ceiling on that side. Do you think this will present a problem with installing the belt drive?

Bookmark   November 30, 2007 at 10:30PM
don_1_2006

You know this has never come up with a belt drive and I honestly don't know the answer. I suggest you call Sears for the answer.

Bookmark   December 1, 2007 at 2:32PM
cassie_swpa_z6_7

Thanks again, Don. We got a number from Sears for the local installer and left a message but will probably find out for sure what they can do when they are here. Thanks so much for your help!

Bookmark   December 2, 2007 at 6:01PM
cassie_swpa_z6_7

Just an update - we were all set to have a new Craftsman belt drive installed but the local installer who put in the originals was able to repair the present screw drive opener at a very reasonable charge and in less than 10 minutes. He also recommended a belt drive for the future and said that it can be cut to fit.

cassie

Bookmark   December 17, 2007 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Allister GDO not closing with remote
Having a problem with my Allister Access 3500 GDO not...
irishh7
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Mountain of leaves on my driveway
So I acquired a huge pile of leaves that I used for...
bibbus
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™