craftman garage door opener

jimmyt9360November 13, 2006

My 1/2 hp garage door opener stopped working. The light comes on when you hit the remotes, but the motor will not come on. A repair person said on the phone it was because the spring was broken. The spring has been broken for a year. I would think if that was it the motor would still try to move the door. Is there a reset? Could it be the motor starter capacitor? Is there anything inside I can check. The door sensors are ok. I jumpered them out and it made no difference.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doorguy06

So you have had a broken spring for a year and your opener has worked fine?? Does the motor just click or does it run without lifting the door???

Bookmark   November 13, 2006 at 8:10PM
taxi_9383

My door is doing the same as jimmyt9360, was the problem a motor starter capacitor? Does anyone know when you have a bad motor starter capacitor what happens? My opener just clicks with the light all on. But no motor sound and does not open. When wall switch is pushed it flashes 5 times.
Please help!!!

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 5:41PM
don_1_2006

It is not the starting capacitor. Did your door stop working in the open position. If so check to see if the trolley (the thing the door is connected to) is jammed against a bolt just in front of the motor unit. If so, remove the bolt and then run the door. While the door is in the down position adjust the 'up limit' (on the side of the motor) about 4 turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover. Replace the bolt and you should be good to go. Please post back and let us know.

Bookmark   May 1, 2007 at 6:24PM
More Discussions
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
Sponsored Products
Chris & Chris Pro Stadium Kitchen Work Station
Overstock.com
Westinghouse Outdoor Lanterns. Moncove Wall-Mount 1-Light Outdoor Textured Rust
$46.73 | Home Depot
Benito Ceiling Fan by Fanimation Fans
$299.00 | Lumens
Portable Dry Misting Outdoor Fan
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Flagtrends Black 2 Position Bracket - Black - 60756
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Powder Coated Victorian Bronze Energy Star Outdoor Wall Lantern with Photocell a
$41.96 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™