Garage door opens then reverses

tuffametuffayouNovember 2, 2011

I recently replaced the sprocket and worm gear in my craftsman 1/2 h.p. opener. The door opens 6in then reverses,without the light flashing. I read on a previous post that the motor shaft and coupling may not be installed properly. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Make sure you put the black cup back on the end of the motor shaft and that it is pressed all the way on. Make sure the RPM sensor is plugged in. If neither of these are the issue, then you probably did not have the motor shaft pushed all the way back when you tightened the coupler after replacing the worm gear. Loosen that coupler up and from the front of the motor (opposite end in which the coupler is on) push the shaft back as far as it will go. Hold it there while you tighten the coupler back up and then try it.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 4:00PM
tuffametuffayou

Thanks for the tip Don. Just to be clear, the shaft shoud be pushed toward the end that has the black cap or away from it.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 7:03PM
don_1_2006

Push the shaft of the motor toward the black cap.

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 4:56PM
Petu

Hello
Hope you can help. I too replaced plastic drive gear in unit and now have a unit that travels about 4 to 6 inches and immediately reverses to original position. Of interest is that sensors are not lit. When I took sending sensor and moved close to opener the green LED would light when wired to Terminal 1 and 2, yet it was wired to 2 and 3 when I took the wires off the opener (I shouldn't have in hindsight....) I cannot get the sensor to light up when wired correctly, though the LED is working when wired to 1 and 2.......
Can't see anything wrong with RPM sensor, very frustrated and mad at myself for not being able to figure it out. Door is well balanced and easy to move up and down manually. Help would be very appreciated

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Sun shines on sensor....
...and garage door will not stay down! Anyone have...
phoggie
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Light on my garage door opener won't turn off
The light on my old Genie Medallion Series garage door...
liviey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™