Success repairing old Craftsman Door Opener

dcayNovember 2, 2011

Hi,

I found this this forum a couple of days ago looking for advice and solutions to the problems I was having with my old Craftsman 139.53611 (41A3063) Garage Door Opener. I am writing to let everyone know how my GDO was fixed. It would stop working randomly. I was able to get it working again by turning the motor shaft manually or slapping the unit on its side. I thought it was the main gear binding, or then electric motor getting weak, or then the capacitor going bad, or dreadfully a bad circuit board. Well I had a spare GDO unit for parts and swapped out the gear, then motor, then capacitor. That did not help at all. I disconnected the chain and while observing the internals working I noticed some arcing on the circuit board at a solder joint in the dim garage light. As it turned out, the solder was visibily cracked at a minuimum of 2 joints. I re-soldered these 2 joints and about half of the remaining joints, adding solder when it appeared necessary. Success, the unit appears to be fixed now.

I figure the recent cold weather here in Houston, TX separated the joint and making the unit stop working. My working and banging would reconnect the joint for a day or two.

My advice is to look over the back of your circuit board closely if the diagonsis of your opener is to a circuit board failure, it might be an easy fix to re-solder/re-wet the suspect solder joints on your circuit board. This was an older unit without the troublesome LED sensors, so I wanted to keep this unit going. These boards are getting old and the solder joints crack just like circuit boards in my old car had done. I am glad I did not have buy a new board for $80 and go without an opener for another week.

This is a very good Forum, and Dan is quite helpful to everyone here. Everyone has helped me even if they did not know about it.

Thanks all,

David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Bad connections on circuit boards is common to all electronics and is the first thing I always look for. It is a good tip for others.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 5:32PM
More Discussions
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Sponsored Products
Olde Bronze Mini Pendant 1-Light
$63.00 | PLFixtures
Craftsman Satin Nickel Three-Light Bath Light
$161.10 | Bellacor
Oat Pleat Linen Empire Shade 8x12x8 (Spider)
$89.91 | Lamps Plus
Light Sock Pendant by Swarovski
$6,505.00 | Lumens
CAL Lighting Lamps 29 in. Biella Resin Table Lamp BO-2143TB
Home Depot
Capital Lighting Preston Craftsman-Mission Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
angelo:HOME Hand-tufted Gold Hudson Park Polyester Rug (5' x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Castor Design | Deadstock Floor Lamp
YLighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™