Garage Door Transmiter Problem - Metal Door

brazerNovember 24, 2006

Hey everyone...new here...Hope someone can help me with my current predicament, as I'm not a very "handy" guy.

I live in an old house with an old Stanley garage door system...I had programmed the transmittor in my car to open/close the door the past few years, so there were no problems.

Last month I sold the car, so had to dig up my the regular transmiter. It wasn't working, so I replaced the battery, and even then, it wasn't working...or it would work sometimes then not other times.

So I figured the thing was a dinosaur...they system is prob 20 yrs old I think.

So went to the store, and bought a universal remote by SkyLink...came home and programmed it, but it would not work...i called tech support, and they told me that if it won't work, i need to also buy a separate receiver.

So I went back to the store, and bought the receiver.

I connected the receiver to a power source, and wired the 2 wires into the fixed garage door opener thingy on the wall, and then I programmed the remote to work with the receiver...and everything was great.

It was working fine at close range...and I went out to the driveway, and it still worked fine from 30 feet out.

I smiled and was happy with my work.

Then....when the garage door was DOWN, I pressed the button and NOTHING...tried again at close range and nothing again.

Called tech support, and they said that they were sorry but our door is METAL and sometimes their systems just can not penetrate through metal.

I asked for a "fix" or upgrade....and she said there was nothing to do, and recommended I try another manufacturer who might offer a more robust system that goes through metal.

I'm stuck.

Can anyone help me please? I'm not very handy so I can't really do crazy rewiring and stuff...

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

I would take that transmitter and receiver back to the store and try to get my money back. Then I would get rid of that 20 year old Stanley and get something new. The door may be metal but the rest of your house and garage isn't and the transmitter should work.

Bookmark   November 24, 2006 at 6:03PM
brazer

Thx for the resopnse Don...The store were very nice and said that if things didn't work they would certainly offer me a full refund...So no worries on that front.

Buying a whole new system might end up being my only option...Unless they can recommend another receiver/transmittor that is more robust.

I guess I'll see how it goes when I go back to the store, and see what advice they can give me...

Cheers.

Bookmark   November 25, 2006 at 10:13AM
doorguy06

On the external reciever you should have some sort of an antenna. Get you a small piece of wire and cut and splice this into the antenna. Run that wire all the way to the front of the garage and let it hang down just above the springs. What you are doing is extending the antenna, then try it with the door closed. I have to do this on all the Liftmaster external recievers I install.

Bookmark   November 26, 2006 at 12:49PM
More Discussions
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
garage door remote opens but wont shut door
I have a 10 year old Craftsman garage door opener model...
Junky
GDO / SENSOR LITES? ONE GREEN - OTHER ?
craftsman 1/2 hp battery key pad ok / remotes &...
bronxbill
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
work.truck
Sponsored Products
Avanity MODERO-VS30-CG-B Modero 30 Inch Vanity Combo in Chilled Gray finish
Blue Bath
Lourdes 52-inch 3-door TV Stand
Overstock.com
Inval 50-inch Espresso-wenge Curved-front Flat Panel TV Stand
Overstock.com
Bellaterra Home Bathroom Elite 60 in. W x 36 in. H Vanity in White with Marble
Home Depot
Feiss Baton Rouge 27" High Outdoor Hanging Lantern
Lamps Plus
Westinghouse Outdoor Lanterns. 2-Light Vintage Bronze Steel Exterior Wall Lanter
Home Depot
Yellow Hanger - Set of Four
$8.99 | zulily
Design Element DEC071B-W Portland 71-in. Double Bathroom Vanity Set - DEC071B-W
Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™