Odor from leather sofa?

sweet_homeOctober 29, 2009

Hi,

I am new to this forum. We have a leather sofa that we bought 5 years back. We paid about $3000 for it and it still semms to be in good condition. However, we(or rather I since I am very sensitive to smell) have been noticing an odor coming from the living room for a while now and we didn't even suspect the leather sofa. We wanted to rule out the sofa, so we moved it to the dining room and the odor started coming from the dining room. Is it normal for leather to smell or have an odor after this long? We don't want to throw it away just because of this odor. Is anyone is aware of this, is there a way we can get rid of it? Would appreciate any suggestions/feedback.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmanbike

I can try to help you if you can provide more info: Do you know the type of leather= aniline dye, corrected grain, bycast or? What climate region you live in? Have you removed any of the foam or fiber in the cushions to check where the odor is coming from? Can you describe the odor?
Its a little bit unusual for a odor to develop sometime after the purchase thats directly related to the leather itself.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 12:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweet_home

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to what type of leather our sofa is made of. We live in California. I am not able to describe the odor(more towards rooms with old carpet etc but I know I could be way off). Initially, I even suspected the presence of mold in the room and went to the extent of hiring a mold inspector to do the testing. The mold spore count was way too low and we figured that was not the problem. Is it possible to check on the fiber of the sofa without tearing it. BTW, I noticed and there is a small area in the loveseat which is torn. When I go near the sofa I am not able to point out where the odor is coming from. However, we go out and come back to the house, I can smell the odor.

Bookmark   October 30, 2009 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Can you help me identify this furniture maker/designer?
I acquired this mid-century table and chairs. Looks...
Julie Fortier
Horchow new chairs
Anybody knows the manufacturer of these chairs? Where...
inna0410
what is a better slipcovered sofa than Rowe?
what is a better slipcovered sofa than Rowe?
thelisaz
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
Durability of white leather
Will a white leather sofa discolor eventually no matter...
booyah053
Sponsored Products
Calhoun Sofa - Key Largo Grass Green
Joybird Furniture
VIG Furniture - Divani Casa T285 - Modern Fabric Sectional Sofa -...
Great Furniture Deal
Traditional Table Lamp with Scale Printed Grey Satin Shade
ParrotUncle
Blu Dot | Swept Sofa
YLiving.com
Custom Fringed Square Pillow
Home Decorators Collection
Bellevue with Retractable Tables Transitional-style Full-size Futon Sofa Sleeper
Overstock.com
Chelsea Home Grant 2 Piece Sectional Sofa - CHEL1681
Hayneedle
High Frequency Pillow Cover in Lime
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™