Pennsylvania House Dining Group

lavernOctober 22, 2007

I was in a local furniture store today and saw a Pennsyvania House Dining group...china hutch and base, dining table and six chairs. The finish was distressed cherry. The tag says it is made of cherry veneers and hardwoods. The salesperson said they were no longer making Pennsylvania House so the price was deeply reduced. The original price on tag was $10,399 reduced to $4199 and they were willing to sell it to me for $3136.50. The salesperson says they are no longer producing the Pennslyvania House line. I really like the group and was wondering is this a good price?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmealy

Word I've heard is that the Pennsylvania House brand has been sold to a Chinese enterprise. No longer a US owned or produced brand.

Bookmark   October 22, 2007 at 7:00PM
ci2eye

I've read that Pennsylvania House which was a La-Z-Boy company has been sold. La-Z-Boy sold the name to a Chinese furniture maker but the new owner did not buy the current designs or inventory of products. Therefore, La-Z-Boy Corporation is liquidating all inventory which would explain the low price.

However, my understanding is that La-Z-Boy has been making Pennsylvania House furniture in China for some time so the quality may not be the same as was once associated with that name.

The new owner plans to create new groups of furniture which will begin being sold under the Pennsylvania House name next year. Kinda sad to me.

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 6:00PM
lavern

ci2eye, thanks for the response. I purchased the set the same day I posted the original message. The price was excellent. Actually the set was made in Thailand not China. I am attaching pictures.

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 6:49PM
furnone

The Pennsylvania House brand name only, was bought by Universal Furniture, a Chinese owned producer of lower end furniture earlier this month. They didn't buy any inventory and La-z-boy will be liquidating any PH inventory. PH has been made offshore for about 6-8 years I think. Industry members and their customers agree that it was a fatal mistake for them to go completely imports in one fell swoop. They have been plagued by quality problems.
You can read more about in this Furniture Today article.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.furnituretoday.com/article/CA6493535.html?text=pennsylvania+house

Bookmark   October 27, 2007 at 11:48AM
ci2eye

Lavern,

The furniture looks nice. It looks like the perfect fit and style for your space. Sounds like you got a good deal on it so La-Z-Boy's unfortunate sale of the brand benefitted you.

Ci2Eye

Bookmark   October 27, 2007 at 1:17PM
jamespeter

The furniture looks nice. It looks like the perfect fit and style. Word I've heard is that the Pennsylvania House brand has been sold to a Chinese enterprise.I(t is not US owned or produced brand.

========================================================
jamespeter

Pennsylvania Drug Treatment

Bookmark   August 20, 2008 at 6:40PM
scsb_bellsouth_net

we are looking for your bedroom set item #082040 main street collection the dresser mirror has a hidden jewelry compartment and the chest also has a hidden jewelry compartment

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
Online slipcover companies
Need to re-slipcover our Arhaus Greta sectional, and...
kardut
Barcalounger v Lane v Best or other recliner advice
Hi--I think I've done my homework,and I've read other...
sailormass
Bernhardt vs. Thomasville for leather.
Thinking of getting a leather sofa for its durability....
Sparks72
How to add under bed storage?
I love our bed, especially the headboard. Sadly our...
fuzzypawsnewpad
Where can I find this style bed for less?
We're looking for a new bed and the only bed styles...
pugluv1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™