Craftsman 1/2 hp Garage Door Opener

melissa0919November 9, 2009

My husband and I recently moved into a new rental property with this type of opener in the garage. Many of our neighbors are able to use their remotes to open and close our garage door. It doesn't happen every single time, but it is very frequent (say 3-5 times a day). Our landlord does not want to replace the unit.

My husband turned down the signal/frequency, but that didn't seem to help. Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any options other than replacing the unit?

CRAFTSMAN 1/2 HP

MODEL # 139.536.5SR

MANUFACTURED: 07/91

(CHAIN DRIVEN)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

What is it that doesn't happen every time?

Bookmark   November 9, 2009 at 5:21PM
cappo11

I had the same problem. I had to change the code. Did it by opening the transmitter (the button in your car). there should be a series of slide switches preset at the factory. you can change these to whatever you like.
It doesn't matter what you set them to as long as ALL transmitters and especially the opener in the garage is changed to the same code. On the opener there should be a plastic cover that pops off to reset the code.

Newer door openers actually have a "rolling code" feature to prevent this problem

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 12:09PM
creek_side

I would file a complaint with the property managers. Their continued use of those old openers is putting you at risk. They should upgrade those openers to new rolling code models right away.

Ask the landlord if he realizes how much it will cost him if something happens to you or your property if he doesn't replace the unit after you have informed him of the problem.

Bookmark   November 11, 2009 at 6:03PM
More Discussions
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
mamasalvo
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™