Partial flooring install - bad idea?

TexasCatherderMay 6, 2012

When I bought my house a year ago, I ripped out the gross carpet and all the sheet vinyl, so all I have now is bare concrete slab in all its glue-stained, paint-dripped, drywall-mud-spattered glory. There are also no baseboards (long story). I'd like to go ahead and get flooring and trim installed, but I also want to do a kitchen remodel that involves taking out a wall between the kitchen and family room.

So, here's my question. Is it feasible to go ahead and put down a floor, and then "patch in" where cabinets/walls were taken out? Or, just do the bedrooms? Or should I do nothing at all until the kitchen is addressed? If it helps, I am thinking either of vinyl planks (Mannington Adura) or engineered wood.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

You could attempt to "patch in"...but that would take plenty of planning and expert flooring repair skills. A competent professional can repair or "patch in" almost any flooring and make the repair invisible to the casual observer.

Another option for you, if you don't want to walk on bare concrete, would be to purchase some cheap vinyl at a big box retailer and throw it in. Then you simply pick it up and throw it out when time comes for the remodeling job.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 10:14AM
gregmills_gw

From a professionals point of view. I would wait untill all demo is done. It will be cheaper in the long run. Unless you are installing yourself. My company can charge upwards of $100 per sq ft. To patch in. That might be on the high side but it gives you an idea.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 3:46PM
TexasCatherder

Thank you both. Alas, that's pretty much what I thought the answer would be. I guess it'll just have to wait another year.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 8:34PM
perfectionss

Partial flooring installation,Really a bad idea you can take demos and consult with the experts.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 3:57AM
More Discussions
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
Indusparquet...opinions, please
After a frustrating on-off search for over two year,...
joyintx
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
Wood or metal registers for new wood floors?
Hi --we currently have metal vents/registers on the...
bellacucina
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™