Electrical code requirements in the US

pogobongoNovember 12, 2010

Hi guys,

I am from 220v land in Europe and am finding out about code reqs in the US in order to wire a couple of outlets in a shed.

I intend to run 220v out to the shed to power my European tools but also need 110v for my new US toys!

if I run 3 wires to the garage (2 hots and a ground) this is ok for 220v. If I then want 110v do I simply take one 220v leg and use the ground as the neutral? If so, to what do I then connect the ground on the receptacle?

I understand from what I have read that neutral and ground may only be connected at the main panel subsequent to a code change in 1996, so I am confused as to what to do. Do I need to run 4 wires out to the garage and use one as a dedicated neutral?

Thanks for enlightening me as to how things are done here!


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Your best bet would be to post your question on the electrical wiring forum. There are some pros there that will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: electrical wiring

    Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 4:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thye safety ground is NEVER used as a current carrying conductor.

To get 120/240 V you need FOUR wires, hot,hot, neutral (groundED), and groundING (safety ground).

A separate structure can only have a single circuit (though a 120/240 V counts as one circuit) without having a panel.

Your 240 V tools will run fine on US 240 V wiring.

If they have universal motors (brushes and a commutator) they will even run at the same speed.

Induction motor will run slightly faster (US is 60 Hz vs. European 50 Hz).

    Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 11:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Are not Europe and Asia on 3 phase electricity?
So, unless a transformer is used in the system, the life may be reduced for the Euro motors...
Just a thought.

    Bookmark   November 14, 2010 at 12:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

"Are not Europe and Asia on 3 phase electricity? "

No more than we are in the US.

3-phase is used for large loads, either industrial or with a transformer setup in large buildings (208 V 'sitnger' system).

    Bookmark   November 16, 2010 at 4:57PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
2x6 strength? How much weight will a truss in my garage hold?
I want to build an engine hoist in my garage. I found...
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
Craftsman Garage door openers old dipswitch technology
My garage door motors still work great- 30 years old....
Good material to patch potholes in old garage floor?
I have some pot holes in my 1963 garage floor. The...
Sponsored Products
Menlo Park Two-Light Polished Nickel Sconce
$354.00 | Bellacor
On the Spot Black Three-Light Island Pendant
$314.00 | Bellacor
Zojirushi Stainless Steel Electric Skillet
$164.95 | FRONTGATE
Mercullius Doorbell
Signature Hardware
Alabster Rocks! 36-Inch Bowl 6000 Lumen LED Pendant with Large Square Point Fini
Dyson AM08 Pedestal Fan
$449.99 | FRONTGATE
Swivel Electric Plug In Heated Towel Rail 25 x 21 Brushed & Polished
Hudson Reed
Rounded Design Solid Bronze Double Duplex Outlet Cover - Bronze Patina
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™