Is there any floor coating meant to fill expansion joints?

yadax3November 1, 2007

I HATE concrete expansion joints! I understand their purpose but everything settles into them - especially dirt and dog hair, and makes cleaning much more difficult. I wanted to have DuraStone installed on my patio because I thought it would fill the joints but then I noticed in a photo it doesn't. We also need to cover the floors in our workshop/garage and really want a smooth surface without expansion joints for the sawdust to settle into. Are tiles our only option?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davidandkasie

if you go tile, you need a good sub surface that will account for the expansion/contraction. other wise the tile will just crack. the shows always use some orange stuff they roll out then put the tile on it.

you can use concrete patch to fill the joints, but don't think for a minute that it will never crack. usually after the first year it has let go.

Bookmark   November 5, 2007 at 11:09AM
yadax3

That orange stuff is Schluter's Ditra - we used it in our bathroom.

I've seen stained concrete floors in stores where they've filled the expansion joints with something before they applied the stain. It almost looks like a grout joint. Any idea what I could use to do that?

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 9:31AM
davidandkasie

maybe a concrete caulk would work, at least it would be forgiving to some extents.

Bookmark   November 6, 2007 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Craftsman garage door opener problems
I am having trouble with my 3 year old Craftsman garage...
magilla_53
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D.
Need error codes for Craftsman 41A4315-7D Garage Door...
don831
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Craftsman 3/4 HP Garage Door Opener w/Extension
I just installed a 9.18450 opener with a track extension...
brian_nb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™