Removing hardwood with cabinet and baseboard in

zzttMay 27, 2012

My contractor mistakenly placed new red oak (kitchen, stairs, hallway, and one bedroom) next to my existing white oak flooring (dining, living and two bedrooms). He kept telling me the difference might not be very noticeable after staining. Moreover, old and new hardwood will look different even they are white oak anyway.

I am thinking to remove the newly installed red oak floor, but the new kitchen and two other build-in cabinets are installed on top of the red oak floor already - not to mention the baseboard.

One flooring contractor said he can push new white oak in the cabinet/baseboard without any damage, while another two said I need 1/4 round to cover the gap (which I do not like).

Do you think it is worth to remove the the red oak flooring? Is that possible to replace the red oak without damaging the existing cabinets and baseboard? Or I should try to stain the floor instead? Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Floortech

Have it removed!

Bookmark   May 27, 2012 at 10:47PM
gregmills_gw

If your flooring guy said he can do it i say do it. Its possible to remove and install with cabinets in place. Takes more finese but it can be done. And if you dont like quarter round make sure they are aware of your wishes.

Trying to stain the two different woods is just a headache.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 1:16AM
glennsfc

Professional flooring installers will know what a toe kick saw is (flush cut saw) and will have one in their arsenals of tools. It is used to cut flooring flush with vertical surfaces.

Bookmark   May 28, 2012 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
farm house Floors
Hello everyone. I live in a old farmhouse in new england....
jennybog
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
Kentwood Hardwood Flooring
Has anyone installed wood flooring from Kentwood? If...
MichelleDT
Somerset Country Hardwood Made in China
After ordering 1650 sf of Somerset Country hardwood,...
blondie859111
wood floor finish (am I being too picky)
We recently had our wood floors refinished with the...
Jennifer White Green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™