Best Way to Hang Tools on a Concrete Block Wall?

castorpNovember 26, 2011

I bought Tapcons (a sort of concrete anchor/screw) at the big box store. Only when I returned home did I read up on them and see that they require a hammer drill.

Before I rent a hammer drill--and start putting a lot of holes in the concrete block walls of the garage--I wanted to ask here to see if there's a better way.

I want to hang all of my tools--shovels, rakes, hoes, ladders, etc--on the walls. I also want to include high shelves for ice chests and tarps and things.

My plan was to attach 2 X 4's to the walls, attach hooks and pegboard to those, but I'm not sure about this hammer drill business. I've never used one before.

Thanks.

Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"...read up on them and see that they require a hammer drill."

Rent a 3/8 inch hammer drill.

About the only masonry product you can drill without a hammer drill is mortar, and the fastener strength is reduced in a mortar joint compared to the masonry itself.

This is a good application for Tapcons, since they do not require spotting holes between the wood and the wall.

Fr only a few holes you can use the same masonry bit to go the rough the wood and just keep going.

For a lot of holes you can spot the wood holes with a regular twist bit, then use the wood to position the holes on the wall drilling through the wood holes into the masonry.

Be sure to blow the holes clean before driving the fasteners, use the correct size Tapcon drill bits, and make the holes deep enough (either through the block face, or at least a good 3/4 to 1 inch deeper than the screw length.

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 10:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
castorp

Thanks for the information. I'll go ahead and rent the hammer drill--once I get everything planned out and ready. Looks like this is going to be a bigger project than I thought!

Bookmark   November 26, 2011 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Ice in garage on mild winter days
We have a two story house with an attached 2 car garage....
boubou64
Garage Door Torsion Spring
Have you noticed that local HomeDepot/Lowes do not...
mister_h
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™