no room to adjust sagging gar door opener chain

gene501November 23, 2011

Hi, the chain on my 1/2 hp sears opener is drooping too low. The nut to adjust the chain is all the way over on the bolt. Does the chain stretch over time? What else should i look at? thanks for any help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

Chains do not stretch. Take a good look at the sprocket above the motor unit. It has a bronze bearing that wears and lets the shaft lean toward the door. This will cause the chain to sag and when it gets bad enough it will throw the chain off the sprocket. If you find that is your problem the part number is 41C4220A and it comes with instructions.

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 8:49AM
brickeyee

"Chains do not stretch."

Must be fantasy chain. While it may not be actual stretching of the metal, they do wear and become longer as they wear.

They all get some slack after install and initial tensioning.

Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 1:46PM
don_1_2006

Brickeye chains wear they do not stretch. If you are going to answer a question be honest. Try to stick with subjects you know a little about. Try googling chain stretching.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 4:40PM
brickeyee

As the chain wears their is more clearance on every single roller ans plate and they become longer.

You can call it whatever you want, but I guess all those spring loaded chain tensioners on industrial equipment are a waste of time.

Damn, hope no one wants a refund.

Like I said "they do wear and become longer as they wear."

And any number of places will give you the exact same information.

Maybe you should learn how to read.

Bookmark   November 25, 2011 at 6:11PM
don_1_2006

The question was "do springs stretch?" The answer I gave was "Springs do not stretch." Your answer is "they wear and become longer." Read what you want your answer does not address the question and you cannot admit it. They do not stretch they wear professor. End of this simpleton discussion.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 11:19AM
brickeyee

""they wear and become longer." Read what you want your answer does not address the question and you cannot admit it."

It exactly answers the question, while not containing the idea that they actually "stretch."

I did not address running out of adjustment since I am not familiar with that exact units construction.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 1:31PM
More Discussions
Seeking advice on faux wood garage doors
Hello, X-posting in home building forum. I'd like to...
Madeline616
Relocate Carriage House on new foundation?
Hi there. My 1985 Victorian home here in Maine also...
dplayers1
Chamberlain Garage Door Opener receiver problem
For the past 5 years, my Chamberlain Whisper Drive...
clarence_locke
Wayne Dalton i-Drive vs. Belt Drive vs. Screw Drive
Hello All, I am looking to install 2 new garage door...
rogeroh
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™