staining vinyl floor to color it

cassieinlaMay 20, 2008

Hi there,

I know you can paint vinyl flooring, but I was wondering if anyone knows about staining it. I have an ugly floor that is porous and would probably absorb stain of some kind. I just don't want it to rub off or spread to the carpet. I was kinda thinking of using shoe polish/dye and then polishing the floor to seal it.

I don't even need a solid, uniform color. In fact, I was hoping to create a faux stone/slate finish with black, brown and greyish tones. Also, if this wears off unevenly, then it might be disguised with the pattern.

I know vinyl gets accidentally stained easily with certain things, so I hope to use that in a positive/desirable way! Can anyone suggest what has stained their vinyl floor permanently? (and would be suitable for staining a whole floor-- e.g., a permanent pen would not be very good for this project, despite probably being a good permanent stain!)

Any input appreciated! TIA :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glennsfc

Interesting.

I know that hair dye will permanently stain vinyl. Maybe experiment with that?

Bookmark   May 22, 2008 at 8:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cassieinla

Ah! Yes-- I've read that hair dye is hard to remove-- but I was worried about rub off. I recall reading that ammonia based cleaners are bad for vinyl since they compromise the surface of the vinyl-- so that might be a magical combo, as hair dye uses ammonia to damage the hair enough to absorb the color... maybe that will prove to be a good penetrating stain for vinyl too. And hopefully have minimal rub-off...

Thank you for the suggestion! It helped pull the separate bits of info together in my head! :)

Bookmark   May 23, 2008 at 1:33AM
More Discussions
why is everyone pushing water based poly?
Everyone that I have gotten estimates for is pricing...
NYMK
Has anyone purchased from value floors direct?
Has anyone purchased flooring from value floors direct? I...
willintotry
My experience: refinish hardwood floors with Bona Traffic
I thought it would be helpful to others to read about...
nanj
What is the size of your longest hardwood floor boards?
What ranges are the sizes of your hard wood floor boards...
tlbean2004
Has anyone used Smartcore Floors from Lowes
Hi, we're looking for something that we can put over...
amoore1205
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™