Piano Hinged Door to Barn-Won't Open Enough

bluestarrgalleryNovember 10, 2006

Ok - I tackled stabilizing my barn - I know nothing about woodworking or carpentry. The barn was leaning two feet out of square in two different directions. Everyone laughed (mostly my dad while visiting - saying I should have been born a boy) when I measured the posts we were replacing by saying 116 inches and a quarter inch and a little bit more - but when I hammered the posts in place they fit nice and snug

- anyway I modeled a door after a packaged shed door on my property that has a piano hinged door - everything turned out fine - except .... the door on the barn won't open all the way like it does on the shed - what did I do wrong ? - Did I install the piano hinge backwards or make it fit too tight thus making the door unable to swing all the way open but only out to 45 degrees?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Don_

Without seeing the hinge it sure sounds like you installed it backwards. Piano hinges will fold upon themselves in one direction but will only go part way the other.

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 5:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluestarrgallery

Thanks - I re-looked at the hinge and I installed one side on the front of the post instead of the side - which prevented it from opening all the way. I will have to take off one side of the hinge and put in the correct location.

Bookmark   November 12, 2006 at 12:59AM
More Discussions
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Craftsman Garage Opener Clicks only and LED blinking 5 times
My 1/2 HP Model 139.53641SRT opener clicks to all my...
nosleep
New construction.. Trying to decide on what flooring for garage..
Ok.. So we are building a brand new house and one of...
Jason143NBPD
who makes a 10x8 "Carriage House" style garage door?
Perusing the websites of most of the major garage door...
Daniel501
Need help diagnosing Chamberlain Garage Door Problem
Hi, Have a 1/3 Chamberlain Liftmaster that started...
koalb01
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™