garage door opener just clicks

lucky1_gardenerNovember 9, 2007

A week ago our craftsman 1/2hp gdo (about 14 years old) would not go up, about 6inches then close. Tried opening several times. Heard horrible grinding sound and then it stopped. My husband opened it up to find the gears shredded. He replaced the parts tonight. When we hooked it back up and and pressed the wall control it sparked and that was it. He rechecked the wires and tried again and nothing at all happened but a couple of clicks. The sensor lights are on but not the light bulb on the opener. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_1_2006

You really need to find what sparked. Everything was working okay except a bad gear and now nothing but a couple clicks. It sounds like a bad logic board but they don't normally spark.

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 4:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky1_gardener

Thanks for the response. We figured out what sparked. When my husband put the opener back together he caught the red wire with the screw. He covered it with electrical tape and quadruple checked all the connections. Now when we press the button the opener will go all the way to the closed position when it hit the limits but will not reverse or open. When the button is pressed and the gear is in the closed position the opener just makes 2 clicks. He has tried several times to adjust the up limit but it won't work no matter what. It only wants to go down. We have tried all this without the chain on. We've read through many old posts trying to see what the problem could be. Is it time to replace the whole thing? Thanks again.

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 12:11AM
More Discussions
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Custom Wood Garage Doors
Does anyone know or have experience with wood garage...
linda_1010
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Mountain of leaves on my driveway
So I acquired a huge pile of leaves that I used for...
bibbus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™