Contemporary look with red oak - possible?

destruct05May 29, 2011

I have a read oak hardwood floor, kind of natural looking. I was wondering if there are any options to give it a contemporary look with refinishing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Drop a really great modern rug on it?

Contemporary comes more from the furnishing and draperies and color scheme than the floor finish.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 4:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coastal_modern_love

I have 2 homes with 2 different looks. One is super modern decor and one is coastal cottage. The modern house I have natural white oak pre-finished (maple-ish yellow in color) but all my furnishings are dark wenge stain (brown-black) so there is enough contrast. If your wood furnishings are light wood I would do a dark walnut stain. This is what I am planning for my beach house (actually am undecided between walnut and driftwood gray, two opposites but my modern side loves the walnut!) I have floor issues at the beach house as well so can't speak on the species, but know what you mean when you want a contemporary/modern look to the floors. I would re-post this in home decorating also -they have some color and decor experts there as well, and more traffic.

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
Can you identify this flooring?
Could you please identify this flooring? Thanks
einajr
Travertine Flooring
Trying to find out more info on Travertine flooring....
dqubti
natural red oak floors with natural cherry kitchen cabinets
Hi, all. Looking for feedback from anyone who has natural...
hjs
Flooring For 3 Season Room
A friend has a 3 season room that has carpet over a...
mike_kaiser_gw
Porcelain tiles that look like wood
Does anyone have any experience and/or photos of the...
catlover5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™