What to use to repair broken dining table leg?

michelle0171October 3, 2009

I have a 1940's duncan phyfe double pedestal dining table. The leg has separated where it bows out. What would be best to use for repair? Can post pic if needed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

A picture would be helpful. But generally, a good glue job sill hold. A good glue job is a lot or preparation and a little glue, and sufficient clamping. You may need to reinforce the break with something, perhaps a dowel.

White or yellow glue joints, properly done, will be stronger than the wood. Epoxy will be even stronger and will fill gaps. I would avoid Gorilla Glue or other PU glues.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 11:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
reading_is_fun

I would use a good carpenter or wood glue. You don't want to use anything that cannot be undone in the future, particularly if you don't like the way the joining looks after you're done. I would do a quick web search for furniture restoration techniques before you start out to see the best way to clamp the leg while the glue is curing. Also, any filling that needs to be done should be done after the gluing process with a proper wood filler, not with an epoxy.
Anyway, that my 2 cents for what it's worth, and that's about 2 cents.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Furniture help
Hello My boyfriend and I just moved in and we really...
Penny Dimitrakaki
Ethan Allen furniture... comments on quality
We're looking at Ethan Allen furniture. I know it was...
Mercymygft
What happens to returned furniture
We recently received a living room furniture and one...
madness76
Need Beadroom Furniture
Well, two months ago I changed my home furniture. But...
jazmin07
What experience have you had with Nantuckit Furniture?
Hi! I am thinking about purchasing a slipcovered sectional...
jfkdeb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™