Garage Springs

texanjanaOctober 25, 2007

How long do springs and rollers on a garage door typically last? Our house is 10 years old, and we have had ongoing problems with our garage door and Liftmaster opener. Last year, we had the rollers replaced. Now, we have just spent $500 more having the springs and sensors replaced. I feel like we have either been ripped off by Overhead Door or got a lemon door. Now tonight, my door is acting up again and the guy is coming back out tomorrow. I will be speaking to the owner of the company tomorrow.

The repairman told me the springs need to be replaced every 3-5 years. I didn't say anything, but I was thinking that was BS because my parents have lived in their house for over 25 years and the only thing they have ever done to their garage door is lubricate it.

Any thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
formula1

Sounds like BS to me. We had to replace a broken spring a year ago; first one in over fifty years that I've been around.

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 10:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy427

If the door hardware is properly installed, it should last for decades.
This includes having the proper sized spring(s) and having the cable tension adjusted so that the door is in neutral balance when raised half-way and the GDO disconnected.

Bookmark   October 26, 2007 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Unfinished Detached Carport from 1924
Hi, My house and an accompanying detached garage were...
Central_Cali369
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
Garage door won't open - even manually
Our garage door won�t open - the motor works,...
karyn
Snowblower help
I have a M t d model 317e760f118 track driven snow...
thechad1985
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™