OSB or Plywood?

davestexasOctober 12, 2013

Had 8x10 barn-type storage building erected a few years ago. Its' floor is .75" plywood which I sealed with a HD sealer. Intend to add another building but this will be a gable-type for the tall side walls. This builder uses .75" OSB for flooring. Any OSB I've ever used eventually sagged and those uses were indoors. I want a flat floor now and into the future. Has OSB changed somehow where it will not sag?

This post was edited by davestexas on Sat, Oct 12, 13 at 20:42

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jackfre

I'm in the middle of a major re-model of the house. At the beginning of the job I told the guys that nothing osb would be used on this job. I cannot say that plywood is better than osb. Plywood actually cost less than osb when we started this job.

Mine is just a personal prejudice. I always expect 5 raindrops to hit a piece of osb and that it will explode before my very eyes. I like plywood, given the choice.

Your experience has not been satisfactory. Just say no osb. It's your place.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 10:35PM
jcalhoun

OSB is a good choice for walls if it is painted and kept clean. Not a good choice for flooring, that's why they make plywood decking. Even then make sure you don't skimp on the bracing.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 12:06AM
davestexas

I've done a little research on OSB since asking the forum. The new 8x8 or 8x10 gable building will have treated 2x6s on 16" centers to make the floor. If the contractor uses 3/4" OSB3, I'll take the chance, since I plan to seal the floor anyway. OSB3 is recommended for flooring and is rated for humid conditions.
I built the 8x10 barn to store a 1000lb motorcycle and a 400lb tractor. This new building will have no heavy loads in it. It will just have to last longer than I do..... :)

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 12:42AM
More Discussions
Turning part of garage into storage/man cave/laundry
Some background in my project: 1. I need a study, so...
toffee-el
What's the Lowdown on Garage Door Brands??
I have read some prior posts on steel garage door brands...
Xena99
Garage Door Exterior Lighting Help Please
Hello members, On the exterior, do you prefer lighting...
pippit
Need Help with My SnowBlower
I just recently bought a Craftsman 24" snow thrower,...
bdouble
Cabinets
Hi friends, I am looking for cabinets for my garage...
davidnc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™