Cheap furniture

esradeOctober 12, 2011

After some lurking on this forum, I'm getting some idea on what to look for in quality sofas (8 way hand-tied, etc) but the price for this stuff is more than I'm willing to spend. SO, my question is... if you don't spring for the "good stuff", does it basically come down to what style you prefer and how cheaply you can get it? Is there any quality difference between bargain basement furniture that be found at stores like Costco and Ashley Furniture versus mid-range stores like Bassett or Raymour & Flanigan?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bobismyuncle

Cheap furniture is cheap at every turn, wherever a nickle can be squeezed. Low end sofas are going to have "engineered wood" (particleboard) frames, stapled together, thinner materials, cardboard panels, less resilient foam, and poorer fit and finish.

I repair this stuff daily and sometimes just have to shake my head.

Given the expected life-span, cheap furniture is not inexpensive.

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 10:19PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis

Esrade, the trick is to be able to visually identify signs of quality in what you are buying.

Don't go paying Cadillac prices for a Mazda.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 12:12AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

If they can't tell you exactly how the furniture is made, go to another store.

Bookmark   November 3, 2011 at 4:50PM
everf

hi peeps. new to the forum world and just thought i would say hello

Bookmark   November 4, 2011 at 1:47PM
mrstan1234

New to this forum, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents, as a total bargain hunter. I like to redecorate. A LOT. With every change comes some new furniture. So I go the cheap route.

In my experience, places like VC Furniture, have the bottom line prices, but also bottom line quality. If you bought something that was never going to be sat in, maybe - but with regular (not abusive) use from two people the last set we had, needed new cushions within about 7 months - they were flattened, and the upholstery appeared loose.

Last sofa I bought from Ashley's was AWESOME. Great quality, beautiful, and super inexpensive, since I found it in their scratch and dent section - Not sure how it held up over the years though since I sold it about a year after.

I am learning what everyone has told me all along - you get what you pay for... :) Happy shopping.

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 7:00AM
EliteFurniture

Normally with inexpensive upholstery you have no choice in the cushioning, such as down filled, spring down blend, etc. Inexpensive upholstery will have the cushions made of a foam material which will flatten. You can not regulate (fluff) this material once it flattens. Frames may not hold up as well. Fabrics may wear quicker.

Bookmark   November 5, 2011 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
Duane Collie - Question, Please!
Our H & M Kodiak sofa, love seat, chair & ottoman...
cindylouhoo
Quality Outdoor Furniture Brands/Materials?
I am looking to buy an outdoor dining set, chaise loungers...
wendage2
Who Are Reputable Made In America/North American Furniture Companies?
I am looking for great-room/living room furniture for...
mothersnood
looking for Marge Carson Used Pieces
Hi there, I am looking to buy used Marge Carson Furniture. Kindly, Barb...
iluvcarats
Michael Thomas sectional
Recently rented a luxury ski home that featured a Michael...
Christina Stumpf
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™