Which flooring for whole-house (including kitchen)?

Joe_LinkMay 4, 2014

I'm closing on a 716 sq ft two bed one bath condo this month, and one of the first tasks I have is replacing the flooring in every room. There's currently some sort of wood in the kitchen (probably laminate?), and carpet in the living room, bedrooms, and hall.

I'm looking to replace everything except the bathroom flooring with the same wood or wood-look material, but I'm very concerned with moisture. Eventually this will be a rental unit (probably 3-5 years from now). The color I think I'll be going with is a dark dark brown or black.

I've looked at strand woven bamboo, simulated wood tile (porcelain and ceramic), and vinyl plank, but I'm really not sure which would best suit my needs. I went to six different flooring places and most told me something different. I was pretty convinced bamboo was the way to go, but the color I'm looking at can't be refinished, and the moisture still concerns me. I like the idea of tile for the durability, not sure of the drawbacks.

I'd like to keep this under $5-$6 per foot, installed, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bridget19

check out ifloor.com for ideas. They will even send you samples free.

Bamboo will scratch easily, I love the idea of the wood tile, especially if you are concerned about moisture.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 2:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
StoneTech

I do a lot of the wood tile and folks love it. Durable, easy to keep clean, as well.

You might be able to hit your "price point," depending on your area. Lowe's generally has some very nice product for about $2.25 per sq. ft., as I recall.

Bookmark   May 11, 2014 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Natural hickory...yes or no....pics inside
I got a sample box and put it out on over the carpet...I...
msekfe
Floor sanding/screening question
I just purchased my first home and decided to get the...
berlinswing
Tile over fiberglass?
Long story short, we added some porches to our new...
Nick Anderson
Flooring for road noise - Carpet or LVT
Hi Everyone, We are looking into replacing our entire...
houston70sranch
LVT or Tile
I am trying to decide what to replace my carpet in...
hlariscy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™