table refinishing

jleekOctober 3, 2011

Perhaps clicksmama can answer a question I have. I have "stacking tables" (my mothers) stamped Henredon fine furniture on the underneath. My sunporch has seven sets of sliders an two skylights, hence, furniture takes terrible abuse. The tabletops are now "sticky" to the touch and everything placed on them either sticks or leaves a mark. The wood is perfectly fine. What is my best way of restoring the tops? mineral spirits and linseed oil? No polyuathane? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RRM1

In order to find out what the finish is you will need to start this ordered process.

1. Apply 2-3 drops of denatured alcohol or methanol to a small spot (out of the way spot)of finish. If the finish softens or dissolves, the finish is shellac. If it doesn't go to step 2.

2. Repeat above with Lacquer Thinner. If the finish softens or dissolves, the finish is lacquer.

3. If the finish was done after 1990, it could be a water-based finish. If it was, get back to me and we can discuss what to do.

If lacquer thinner doesn't cut it, it is varnish or CV, or most likely another reactive finish. Doubtful.

If it is 1 or 2, use the solvent with soft cloth to remove the finish. It will likely take several applications to completely remove all of the finish. Next examine the pieces for chips, cracks, or areas of missing or damaged stain. Let us know what you find. Depending on the value of the piece and what you want to use the tables for, we can talk about what type of finish to proceed with.

Bookmark   October 4, 2011 at 11:07AM
RRM1

jleek,
try posting your same query on the woodworking forum, if you need some other input. Have you progressed any yet?

Bookmark   October 5, 2011 at 11:28AM
lindac

Most likely the finish is lacquer and they were cleaned at some time with an orange oil product.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 9:49AM
jleek

Haven't really gotten much further with the refinishing of the table. I appreciate the two of you offering suggestions and I definitely will give both tests a try RRMI. Will report back afterwards. Thanks again Jacque

Bookmark   October 8, 2011 at 10:40AM
More Discussions
Recommendation for high-end modern Asian furniture?
Aside from Berkeley Mills in Berkeley, CA, does anyone...
Cam Chan
Lexington chez michelle Bedroom Set - 7 piece
Hi, i am purchasing a used 7-piece Lexington chez michelle...
kathietang
Slats or Boxspring?
Like the title says: Slats or Boxspring to support...
pbx2
Leathercraft recliner, electric vs manual?
Any opinions, or recommendations? Thanks
greandog
need help with living room furniture placements
Hi, I have this living room 16.5 by 21.5 and the fireplace...
missbaggy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™